Likely good of being able to be reassessed

Watch
Efenn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I’ve just submitted or a unit at university that’s worth 60 credits out of 120 credits for the past year.
However during the past month my stepdad past away due to him suddenly worsening from implications with his lung cancer. This as been very hard on my family and I haven’t been able to fully focus on my coursework the way I’d of ideally liked to not to mention having to be at home for the funeral which was 4 days before my deadline.
I feel as though the beginning of my sketchbook (I take fashion) is strong that I produced at the beginning of the year however the second half lacks development and design and I didn’t fully finish making my garments as I’ve had a lot on personally within the last month.
If I don’t do aswell as I hope all I need is a 60 to get a 2:1 overall this year however if I get lower, what are the odds of me being able to apply to be reaccessed? I’m so nervous about my grade I worked so hard to get a 2:1 overall in second year I even got a 1st on one of my units! I already got a 68 on an essay that’s worth 30 out of 120 credits this year but I’m really worried about my grade for this year as I don’t want to ruin my degree! If anyone has experience with this type of thing can you let me know! I did speak to my tutor about getting an extension however they seem totally against extensions on my course as it can make you miss the fashion show which seems superficial compared to your degree classication!
Faustus500
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get mitigating circumstances. They bump up your grades.
I got a first without the marks, and my circumstances weren't as bad as yours.

Speak to your tutor/personal supervisor/academic support/student's union/God - one of them will know where to go.
Efenn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Faustus500)
Get mitigating circumstances. They bump up your grades.
I got a first without the marks, and my circumstances weren't as bad as yours.

Speak to your tutor/personal supervisor/academic support/student's union/God - one of them will know where to go.
Hi is this something you applied for before or after you got your grade back??
Faustus500
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Efenn)
Hi is this something you applied for before or after you got your grade back??
Both. Mind, I graduated in 2014...
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Efenn)
Hi
I’ve just submitted or a unit at university that’s worth 60 credits out of 120 credits for the past year.
However during the past month my stepdad past away due to him suddenly worsening from implications with his lung cancer. This as been very hard on my family and I haven’t been able to fully focus on my coursework the way I’d of ideally liked to not to mention having to be at home for the funeral which was 4 days before my deadline.
I feel as though the beginning of my sketchbook (I take fashion) is strong that I produced at the beginning of the year however the second half lacks development and design and I didn’t fully finish making my garments as I’ve had a lot on personally within the last month.
If I don’t do aswell as I hope all I need is a 60 to get a 2:1 overall this year however if I get lower, what are the odds of me being able to apply to be reaccessed? I’m so nervous about my grade I worked so hard to get a 2:1 overall in second year I even got a 1st on one of my units! I already got a 68 on an essay that’s worth 30 out of 120 credits this year but I’m really worried about my grade for this year as I don’t want to ruin my degree! If anyone has experience with this type of thing can you let me know! I did speak to my tutor about getting an extension however they seem totally against extensions on my course as it can make you miss the fashion show which seems superficial compared to your degree classication!
You need to talk to your lecturer and/or personal tutor about getting an extenuating circumstances claim in. You ideally should have submitted one before the deadline, but that can't be helped now. Whether you'll get a boosted mark, a chance to do an uncapped resit etc. is down to your university's policies (and if your claim is successful of course).
Efenn
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You need to talk to your lecturer and/or personal tutor about getting an extenuating circumstances claim in. You ideally should have submitted one before the deadline, but that can't be helped now. Whether you'll get a boosted mark, a chance to do an uncapped resit etc. is down to your university's policies (and if your claim is successful of course).
Thanks! You think I should wait to see what I get first or contact them about it now?
Efenn
Rep:
?
Hi do you think I should wait to see what I get or contact them first!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Efenn)
Thanks! You think I should wait to see what I get first or contact them about it now?
Contact them now. Don't wait until you get your mark back, otherwise it'll look like you're only claiming to 'excuse' a bad mark (and not because you genuinely need the claim). Can I ask why you didn't put in a claim before you submitted?
Efenn
Rep:
?
Contact them now. Don't wait until you get your mark back, otherwise it'll look like you're only claiming to 'excuse' a bad mark (and not because you genuinely need the claim). Can I ask why you didn't put in a claim before you submitted?
Well I had spoken to my tutors about it but As the next unit is only two weeks after this one they advised avoiding getting one they’re abit unhelpful in that respect ! I’m also dyslexic so I had already spoken to them about stuff king with writing and time mangerment etc! At my university we have a team called exceptional factors should I contact them or a tutor??
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Efenn)
Well I had spoken to my tutors about it but As the next unit is only two weeks after this one they advised avoiding getting one they’re abit unhelpful in that respect ! I’m also dyslexic so I had already spoken to them about stuff king with writing and time mangerment etc! At my university we have a team called exceptional factors should I contact them or a tutor??
Contact both if you need to. Something should already be in place for you if your have dyslexia, and if it's not, go and see your university's disability service ASAP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads