Ministerial Questions – The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth affairs.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The Foreign secretary, BosslyGaming, will now take questions from the house.

Members are limited to how many questions they can ask, see below

Question limits

i) The Leader of the Opposition ( may ask six questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
ii) Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
iii) MPs may ask two questions, plus two follow-up questions.
iv) Ordinary users may ask one question with one follow-up.

5) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker. This will be run like Prime Minister’s questions, but the Shadow Secretary will be treated like the Leader of the Opposition

Connor27 The shadow FS gets to ask 6 questions.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is my Rt. Hon. friend taking frequent updates on the case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and what more does he believe can be done to further developments in the case and hopefully lead to her release?
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bailey14)
Is my Rt. Hon. friend taking frequent updates on the case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and what more does he believe can be done to further developments in the case and hopefully lead to her release?
I must be honest with my Rt Hon. Friend that the recent tensions we have seen, involving Iran, certainly have not helped to speed up discussions with Iran on this matter. Since then though, we have resumed full discussion with the Iranian Government over the case of Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe and, as for updates, I have ensured that a situation report is sent to me on a regular basis so that I can oversee the progress. Unfortunately, I have to report to my Rt Hon. Friend that the situation has not changed much and Iran are still of the position that they do not recognise dual nationality and, therefore in their view, the diplomatic protection which we have granted Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe is invalid. On the topic of what can be done, it is important that we continue to explore all diplomatic avenues and maintain to Iran that we want to work peacefully with them to see Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe return home. We must not provoke Iran or escalate tensions with them - any of that will move us further away from a positive outcome. This is a matter which is personally troubling and I hope that we are able to see a favourable outcome, sooner rather than later. We owe it to Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe, her friends and family and the people of this country to do all we can to bring her home.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What does the Foreign Secretary make of the Huawei debacle, particularly in light of the outrage of the US and the cancelled trip to the UK by senior Australian MPs due to diplomatic tension surrounding this issue?

BosslyGaming
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
What does the Foreign Secretary make of the Huawei debacle, particularly in light of the outrage of the US and the cancelled trip to the UK by senior Australian MPs due to diplomatic tension surrounding this issue?

BosslyGaming
I'm not going to pretend to have the same intelligence available to me as the real life NSC, as I don't. What I would say is that, if there is a danger posed by Huawei, it is important that we take that danger seriously and not make a mistake on this matter. Likewise, if there isn't a danger posed by giving Huawei access to the network, then it makes sense to involve them. Unless there is any intelligence, that we aren't aware of, that shows Huawei is dangerous, I would actually agree with the decision taken to give them access to certain sections of the network, but not the sensitive sections. Ultimately, 5G is an important step for the future of this nation and we shouldn't unnecessarily inhibit our progress on network improvements, however this must not put our national security in jeopardy. If Huawei being involved is safe, let them be involved. If Huawei being involed is a risk, they should not be involved.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker,

1.) Does the foreign secretary agree with me that NATO as an organisation is still important, and is not “brain dead” as President Macron asserted?

2.) Additionally, what actions will the foreign secretary take to ensure peace in the Korean Peninsula?

3.) Will the foreign secretary support the British sovereignty of Gibraltar and use our diplomatic service to oppose any Spanish expansionist attempts to take the rock?
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
x
1) Yes, NATO is still a very important organisation and we remain dedicated to membership and to preserving our NATO committments, as promised in our manifesto.

2) The Foreign Office has, on numerous occasions, encouraged the US State Department to do its utmost to resume negotiations, and will continue to encourage the North Korean government to do so as well. It is vital that all parties come together, offering compromises where possible and necessary, to achieve the ultimate goal - peace in the peninsula.

3) I can unequivocally confirm that I support Gibraltar's right to self-determination and, hence, the British sovereignty of Gibraltar. The government opposes any Spanish claim over Gibraltar due to that right.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BosslyGaming)
I'm not going to pretend to have the same intelligence available to me as the real life NSC, as I don't. What I would say is that, if there is a danger posed by Huawei, it is important that we take that danger seriously and not make a mistake on this matter. Likewise, if there isn't a danger posed by giving Huawei access to the network, then it makes sense to involve them. Unless there is any intelligence, that we aren't aware of, that shows Huawei is dangerous, I would actually agree with the decision taken to give them access to certain sections of the network, but not the sensitive sections. Ultimately, 5G is an important step for the future of this nation and we shouldn't unnecessarily inhibit our progress on network improvements, however this must not put our national security in jeopardy. If Huawei being involved is safe, let them be involved. If Huawei being involed is a risk, they should not be involved.
As a follow-up question, if the UK does proceed with its current stance on the matter, what will you be doing to smooth diplomatic tensions?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you Mr Speaker.

1. Who's UK's most valued ally today?

2. Who's UK's biggest rival/threat today?

3. What are your views on Israel and Palestine?

4. Would you have an audience with His Holiness The Dalai Lama?
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker,
What are the Foreign Secretary's views on the genocide taking place in Xingjang?
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
As a follow-up question, if the UK does proceed with its current stance on the matter, what will you be doing to smooth diplomatic tensions?
I will continue to make clear to to our international partners that if we deem Huawei not be unsafe then we will be doing so on strong supporting intelligence and affirm our dedication to our own security and that of our partners.
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
x
1) The United States are our biggest ally - though I would not discredit the importance of a close relationship with Europe, NATO and the UN.
2) I fear that calling someone a "rival" whilst in peacetime causes unnecessary tension. It is well documented that we have frayed relationships with some nations, though I am wary of calling someone a "rival" or a "threat".
3) I am in full support of a two-state solution, with an independant and legitimate Palestine, and an end to hostilities in the region. It is crucial that both Israel and Palestine are represented in any discussions on that topic. I intend to speak more on this issue in the House.
4) Yes, I would definitely appreciate having an opportunity to have an audience with His Holiness. I imagine it would be a tremendous experience.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) Yes, NATO is still a very important organisation and we remain dedicated to membership and to preserving our NATO committments, as promised in our manifesto.

2) The Foreign Office has, on numerous occasions, encouraged the US State Department to do its utmost to resume negotiations, and will continue to encourage the North Korean government to do so as well. It is vital that all parties come together, offering compromises where possible and necessary, to achieve the ultimate goal - peace in the peninsula.

3) I can unequivocally confirm that I support Gibraltar's right to self-determination and, hence, the British sovereignty of Gibraltar. The government opposes any Spanish claim over Gibraltar due to that right.
I thank the Secretary of State for his responses, my remaining questions are as follows:

4.) What will the government do to combat radical Islamic terrorist organisations around the globe?

5.) Does the Secretary agree that rogue nations like Russia should have their veto and permanent status on the United Nations security council stripped for their flagrant violations of international law and disrespect to the rules based international order?

6.) Finally, will the Secretary, on behalf of this government, pledge that we will NEVER unilaterally abandon our nuclear deterrent; and that nuclear disarmament must only take place on a multilateral basis?
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker,
What are the Foreign Secretary's views on the Chagos Archipelago sovereignty dispute?
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Mr Speaker,
What are the Foreign Secretary's views on the genocide taking place in Xingjang?
I thank the Hon. Member for raising this issue. Genocide does not have a place in this world, anywhere. I have no reservations in condemning genocide in Xinjiang.
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Mr Speaker,
What are the Foreign Secretary's views on the Chagos Archipelago sovereignty dispute?
This is a topic which has already come up in the MHoC - see my ministerial report (link), which is now in effect after passing divison, on it.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a topic which has already come up in the MHoC - see my ministerial report (link), which is now in effect after passing divison, on it.
Oh whoops. I wasn't an MP then so didn't know. Can that question not count :lol:
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Oh whoops. I wasn't an MP then so didn't know. Can that question not count :lol:
I'm not too fussed. Others might have an issue with it but you could just ask your question in AtG anyway so I'm not fussed. You've got another question that you can ask here, since you get two questions.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker,

Thank you for recognising me to ask questions to the Foreign Secretary. It seems, Mr Speaker, that this Conservative Government continues to abandon British people both at home and abroad. From the issues of austerity and increased homelessness to the destructive Universal Credit that continues to punish vulnerable people.

1. We have seen reports that the lovely Sally and David Abel may have tested positive to the coronavirus after days stuck in appalling conditions of the cruise liner off the Japanese coast.

As a senior representative of the Government and our man in the Foreign Office, can the Foreign Secretary provide an update to the support being provided to those British nationals in Asia who are at risk of contracting the deadly coronavirus and provide assurances for their safety and security?
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Mr Speaker,

Thank you for recognising me to ask questions to the Foreign Secretary. It seems, Mr Speaker, that this Conservative Government continues to abandon British people both at home and abroad. From the issues of austerity and increased homelessness to the destructive Universal Credit that continues to punish vulnerable people.
I must note that "this Conservative Government" is a Labour-Liberal Democrat-Independent coalition government. No Conservatives. (unless that's a misunderstanding on my part, I must clarify that this is the Model House of Commons and I am a Labour foreign secretary, not Conservative)

As for the question, the Government maintains its advice that British nationals should leave China where possible and report to the nearest health agency if already exhibiting symptoms of the virus. We are maintaining contact with Chinese officials on the situation and my Rt Hon. Friend the Chancellor, acting also as Health Secretary, has already stated that the Government is considering allocating funds towards a possible vaccine. The Foreign Office will also continue to dedicate whatever resources it can to aid the Chinese government in stopping the virus. Thankfully, we have seen the number of daily new cases slowly start to drop this week. Hopefully this trend continues.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (14)
73.68%
No (3)
15.79%
Not sure (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads