student20323
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am currently a second year student at university living in a house with other students. Long story short at the beginning of this year I was looking to take a year off studies but due to some unforeseen circumstances I am now staying for third year and looking to live in a house with a couple other friends but they are in a difficult situation because they don’t have the kind of money to be putting down a £300-400 deposit right now mid-term for a house. Currently they are staying in their current house as their landlord will just have to extend their contract for another year with the same deposit they initially paid. They’re not in a position where they can ask other people for that amount of money to borrow either. Had they had that kind of money for the deposit they’d find a house with me but they don’t. Personally I’ve only gone through a private landlord and we had to give him the deposit straight up, but I’ve heard of instances where you put a holding deposit down to secure the house and later on pay the full deposit. If the holding deposit is somewhere around 50-100 it’ll be possible for my friends to fork that money out and pay it, then pay the full deposit next loan that comes in April. I am asking for advice on what I should do because preferably I’d live with friends that I get on with and wont have to join a house where I don’t know anyone. Do private landlords do holding deposits too or agencies only? Would I be successful going out of my way to contact the landlord or agency to ask if we can put a holding deposit down whilst we wait for the April loan to come in form student finance?

Many thanks in advance
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student20323)
Hello, I am currently a second year student at university living in a house with other students. Long story short at the beginning of this year I was looking to take a year off studies but due to some unforeseen circumstances I am now staying for third year and looking to live in a house with a couple other friends but they are in a difficult situation because they don’t have the kind of money to be putting down a £300-400 deposit right now mid-term for a house. Currently they are staying in their current house as their landlord will just have to extend their contract for another year with the same deposit they initially paid. They’re not in a position where they can ask other people for that amount of money to borrow either. Had they had that kind of money for the deposit they’d find a house with me but they don’t. Personally I’ve only gone through a private landlord and we had to give him the deposit straight up, but I’ve heard of instances where you put a holding deposit down to secure the house and later on pay the full deposit. If the holding deposit is somewhere around 50-100 it’ll be possible for my friends to fork that money out and pay it, then pay the full deposit next loan that comes in April. I am asking for advice on what I should do because preferably I’d live with friends that I get on with and wont have to join a house where I don’t know anyone. Do private landlords do holding deposits too or agencies only? Would I be successful going out of my way to contact the landlord or agency to ask if we can put a holding deposit down whilst we wait for the April loan to come in form student finance?

Many thanks in advance
They can do what they like, but imo most will require a deposit. No harm in asking, but I doubt any holding deposit would last for long i.e a week or two, not several months.
Might be easier if you can find a private LL direct to deal with.
They could also consider getting jobs, asking for a loan from family and friends or bank od.

Reading the rest of your post I would wait for your friends and just get something in April when your loans come through. Only in a very few places is accommodation difficult to find. Living with friends makes a big difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (257)
60.9%
No (86)
20.38%
Not sure (79)
18.72%

Watched Threads