Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is a reference essential on a UCAS application? I left high school last year and so I have no clue who to ask to be my reference. I am contemplating submitting without a reference.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You old form tutor should do it. Have you asked?
IonaBubble
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can’t put in an application without a reference.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not essential but very few uni's will consider offering you a place on an undergrad course without any reference.
Can you ask an employer, private tutor or one of the teachers from your high school to do a UCAS reference for you?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IonaBubble)
Actually you can.
I know a couple of people who did send off their UCAS without a reference.
But most uni's will decline to offer an undergrad place.
UCAS_Expert
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can, but this is normally prearranged with the University and the application going through UCAS is just to comply with the University's contract with UCAS that all undergraduates will go via that process
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is a reference essential on a UCAS application? I left high school last year and so I have no clue who to ask to be my reference. I am contemplating submitting without a reference.
Just ask your old school, they will still have all your details on file
IonaBubble
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UCAS_Expert)
You can, but this is normally prearranged with the University and the application going through UCAS is just to comply with the University's contract with UCAS that all undergraduates will go via that process
If an applicant can’t provide a reference from school can’t they use one from other sources like work or volunteer work?
UCAS_Expert
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If an applicant can’t provide a reference from school can’t they use one from other sources like work or volunteer work?
Yes. I'm referring to when the University has already accepted the applicant and is just putting them through UCAS to make it official.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you can - information on how to do this (and for the referee as to what they need to do) is on the UCAS website:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...uate-reference

But if you are only a year out of school, try asking someone there, such as the Sixth Form administrator in the first place. Be aware, though, that some schools may charge a fee for this:mad:.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There is a way to apply without a reference but will require prior agreed consent from all the unis you plan on applying to.

Its better & easier to get a reference, im sure your school tutor will happily act as your referee, normally people are happy to do this sort of thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (19)
79.17%
No (3)
12.5%
Not sure (2)
8.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed