Labour risks being obsessed with IDPol, ignoring real issues

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The ruling classes love to see the left squabble over petty issues like deeming which groups are supposedly transphobic and those that aren't. they love to pit gays against lesbians, lesbians against gays, gays against trans, trans against bi, etc etc etc. This is ignoring the real issue of CLASS. If we are united as workers, we can take on the Tories and the ruling class of Britain. I urge my fellow comrades to stop obsessing over identity politics and instead focus on class politics, because in reality, no one actually cares what a TERF is and is not
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with you about the mass obsession with identity politics only resulting in tunnel vision and ignoring the real issues.
I doubt shifting the political focus to class based identity politics would be much to Labour's electoral or public relations advantage.

A terribly confrontational situation has been allowed to develop over the last five years in relation to: discussions over proposed reform of the GRA, hate campaigns against transsexual opponents of self-id and failing to adequately deal with vicious threats directed at radical feminists branded TERFs.
I hardly follow any feminists, tra's or Labour Party affiliated lgbt activists.
Yet my twitter timeline has been filled with near constant exchanges of slanderous accusations, insults and violent threats.
So much aggression, vitriol, Labour Party factionalism and illegal social media abuse often threatening alleged TERFs with violence or rape.
On facebook, mumsnet, reddit, twitter, instagram.
The police should have stepped in to arrest all the criminal troublemakers operating on social media, long before the horrid mayhem started to permeate into real life.

To a less significant degree, the same issues are also present within other political parties too.
Particularly the Greens, Lib Dems and WEP.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You talk as if class isn't another form of idpol anyway? Everything is identity politics, policies are proposed to appeal to specific groups of people - it just only gets the term identity politics when people want to dismiss the worth of the policies and sneer at them. Besides, if someone doesn't believe in liberation and equality for all, what are they actually doing in the labour party?
Neilos
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Labour are being held back by their disregard for the people they need to convince to vote for them.

They're wonderful at collecting likes and support from people who sound the same way they do, but the behaviour of the party, and in particular its loudest activists, isn't appealing to floating voters. I really don't think class politics would appeal to those people either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
73.33%
No (4)
13.33%
Not sure (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads