Question PGDip (postgraduate diploma) in Theology and Religion at Oxford

Watch
redtheology
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, first time posting here. I applied for the MSt in Theology at Oxford, and I was notified today that the assessors for my application suggest I allow my app to be re-routed to the PGDip in Theology and Religion (and that I would receive an official offer if I were to agree to this).

I'm a little disappointed, of course, but I'm grateful to be offered this as opposed to being outright rejected. I assume I was offered this partly because my undergraduate studies weren't in theology (double major in philosophy and political science at an American university).

I had never heard of a PGDip before today, so I'm wondering a few things specifically: 1) have you ever heard of someone receiving funding (even partial) for such a diploma? 2) would it be worth pursuing If I didn't receive funding, as it's only for nine months? and 3) is there any possibility of 'upgrading' the diploma to a masters degree, were I to prove I'm capable of performing the dissertation element? From what I've read, the PGDip is essentially a Masters without the dissertation element.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations on the Oxford PGDip offer.
I've been offered employer sponsorship and other sources of funding for a few diploma courses.
Student finance don't fund any undergrad or postgrad diploma courses.
Are you a usa national or with dual citizenship?

The course is highly recommended by former students.
I'm told that the calibre of teaching is high and the qualification is very well regarded.
But there is no possibility of upgrading to a masters and no graduation ceremony offered for the PGDip.
If you do well there is a good chance of progressing to further academic study within Oxford's Faculty of Theology & Religion.
Personally I think a place on the course is worth pursuing.
I've never applied to Oxford but enjoy studying theology and collecting postgrads.
My student finance master's loan entitlement got used up years ago, I rely on sponsorship and credit card borrowing.
redtheology
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Congratulations on the Oxford PGDip offer.
I've been offered employer sponsorship and other sources of funding for a few diploma courses.
Student finance don't fund any undergrad or postgrad diploma courses.
Are you a usa national or with dual citizenship?

The course is highly recommended by former students.
I'm told that the calibre of teaching is high and the qualification is very well regarded.
But there is no possibility of upgrading to a masters and no graduation ceremony offered for the PGDip.
If you do well there is a good chance of progressing to further academic study within Oxford's Faculty of Theology & Religion.
Personally I think a place on the course is worth pursuing.
I've never applied to Oxford but enjoy studying theology and collecting postgrads.
My student finance master's loan entitlement got used up years ago, I rely on sponsorship and credit card borrowing.
Thanks for the information and advice! I'm a US national. I wish they offered funding, but it's understandable that they don't. Theology at Oxford would be a dream, but I'll probably need to go to a US school for funding.
FlossieH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an offer for the Oxford PGdip today!

I reached out to a professor before I applied and he said I did not have the prerequisite degree for an MPhil (I studied Sociology and Social Anthropology). Obviously, money and funding is the main drawback but I have been saving up and I am excited to pursue my passion with a little less pressure for a year before, hopefully, doing an MPhil! Still waiting to heat back from Cambridge though- the course looks a little more in line with my interests there so we will see!
FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FlossieH)

I reached out to a professor before I applied and he said I did not have the prerequisite degree for an MPhil (I studied Sociology and Social Anthropology). Obviously, money and funding is the main drawback but I have been saving up and I am excited to pursue my passion with a little less pressure for a year before, hopefully, doing an MPhil! Still waiting to heat back from Cambridge though- the course looks a little more in line with my interests there so we will see!
Also I am waiting to hear if I got any funding from Oxford... I applied too late for funding from Cambridge but if I get a scholarship from Oxford that might be a deciding factor.... also apparently there are some old scholarships around from Christian groups etc for people studying Theology I might look in to!
redtheology
Rep:
?
(Original post by FlossieH)

Congratulations! Perhaps we'll be classmates.

I hope you get good news from Cambridge; I considered applying there too, but ended up putting most of my efforts toward schools in the US
Do you have any sense of when we might hear back about funding? I saw that we should expect a college offer in 8-10 weeks. I'm really hoping to hear back on funding before that, as that's really close to decision deadlines.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you direct me to these Christian group scholarships? I definitely need to look into external scholarships, if possible!
FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by redtheology)
Congratulations! Perhaps we'll be classmates.

I hope you get good news from Cambridge; I considered applying there too, but ended up putting most of my efforts toward schools in the US
Do you have any sense of when we might hear back about funding? I saw that we should expect a college offer in 8-10 weeks. I'm really hoping to hear back on funding before that, as that's really close to decision deadlines.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you direct me to these Christian group scholarships? I definitely need to look into external scholarships, if possible!
Yes ! Why don't you drop me a direct message and we can chat on a different platform as I am rarely on here x
sjr1995
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I applied to the same PGDip program and have not received a response yet. I am assuming that this means my application is not successful due to the fact that the two of you have received offers already. Does Oxford usually send the offers before the rejections?
redtheology
Rep:
?
(Original post by sjr1995)
Hi! I applied to the same PGDip program and have not received a response yet. I am assuming that this means my application is not successful due to the fact that the two of you have received offers already. Does Oxford usually send the offers before the rejections?
I’m not sure. I wish I could be of more help.
FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, how is everyone ? I got my college, St Benets. Have assumed I have not got funding. Will start looking in to possible pots of funding soon. I am still waiting to hear back from Cambridge and am a little nervous as it has been ages.... Anyone else have any updates ? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what drew you both to postgrad Theology and what area of study do you want to pursue? Stay well, F x
FlossieH
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sjr1995)
Good luck! Did you hear back in the end? I have still not heard back from Cambridge it has been soo long!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads