The Student Room Group

University of Nicosia Medical School 2020 entry

Scroll to see replies

Are you a UK national? Will you go to Barnsley for clinical training in years 4 and 5? Won't UK nationals lose out if they receive clinical training in Cyprus and not Barnsley?
Original post by Maltese Falcon
Are you a UK national? Will you go to Barnsley for clinical training in years 4 and 5? Won't UK nationals lose out if they receive clinical training in Cyprus and not Barnsley?

hello again haha

1. No im not UK national - im tanzanian
2. No im not going to barnsley - some of my colleagues are
3. Not necessarily. Will they be more comfortable workign in the NHS? Yes. but if i move to the UK to work in FY2 of FY1 locum - all i need is a few weeks - months to get adjusted to the system. I have the knowledge, i just need to get used to the system.
Original post by theIVlineYT
hello again haha

1. No im not UK national - im tanzanian
2. No im not going to barnsley - some of my colleagues are
3. Not necessarily. Will they be more comfortable workign in the NHS? Yes. but if i move to the UK to work in FY2 of FY1 locum - all i need is a few weeks - months to get adjusted to the system. I have the knowledge, i just need to get used to the system.

Makes sense, thanks.
Reply 23
I am a 3rd year MBBS Student....not an MD student - this is an important distinction.
The MBBS course run by SGUL is appalling. Do not go to it if you have other options, the course is half assed from an administrative point of view, and the organisation and ability to teach is poor. The faculty are not interested in listening to students.
It does allow you the opportunity to work directly back into the Foundation programme as your degree is from SGUL not UNIC if it is the 4 year MBBS you are applying to.
MD students seem satisfied with teaching but I'll let them confirm ...
Original post by Maltese Falcon
MD students seem satisfied with teaching but I'll let them confirm ...

Yup. Satisfied. Studied 3 years in the UK and 4 so far in Cyprus and i am satisfied.

As mentioend above, the MBBS and the MD degree are 2 completely different courses. You can also apply to FYs with the MD degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yup. Fully satisfied. Studied 3 years in the UK and 4 so far in Cyprus and i am satisfied.

As mentioend above, the MBBS and the MD degree are 2 completely different courses. You can also apply to FYs with the MD degree.

Again, overall I am. Obviously there’s administrative issues here and there that are annoying and there are some issues that both students and administrations can disagree on. Yes some professors are horrible etc etc .. however overall, I am satisfied with the delivery of the medical degree.
Hi was just wondering if you’re still going to cyprus this year?
Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and Im definitely set on studying Medicine in Nicosia. I have looked at their website online and everything seems great. Their a level requirements are ABB, I was wondering if most applicants have higher grades. What’s their intake? Do we need to take the UCAT or any other entrance exam. And when should I apply for 2021 entry? Does it count as one UCAS option?
Thank you so much I’d be really grateful for any help!!!
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous778
Hi, I’m currently in year 12 and Im definitely set on studying Medicine in Nicosia. I have looked at their website online and everything seems great. Their a level requirements are ABB, I was wondering if most applicants have higher grades. What’s their intake? Do we need to take the UCAT or any other entrance exam. And when should I apply for 2021 entry? Does it count as one UCAS option?
Thank you so much I’d be really grateful for any help!!!

Hi, I'm in Year 13 and holding an offer to study at Nicosia. Not sure if most applicants have higher grades or not, I was predicted A*A*A, (but wasn't very confident on achieving that), but honestly I wouldn't worry about that at all. As long as your predicted grades meet the ABB requirement they consider all applicants equally. I did ask about the intake at interview but honestly can't remember the exact number, I think it was something like 150? No, you don't need the UCAT or other entrance exams, when you apply they send you a list of required documents which includes passport, GCSEs and your school reference/predicted grades (this gets written up in Michaelmas of Year 13). Not sure when applications for 2021 open, I applied in January for 2020 entry through their website. Basically just look out for when it says "applications open for 2021 entry", but I wouldn't worry about it until you start Year 13. Also no, it's completely independent to UCAS and doesn't take up a place. Hope this helped
Original post by kktrian
Hi, I'm in Year 13 and holding an offer to study at Nicosia. Not sure if most applicants have higher grades or not, I was predicted A*A*A, (but wasn't very confident on achieving that), but honestly I wouldn't worry about that at all. As long as your predicted grades meet the ABB requirement they consider all applicants equally. I did ask about the intake at interview but honestly can't remember the exact number, I think it was something like 150? No, you don't need the UCAT or other entrance exams, when you apply they send you a list of required documents which includes passport, GCSEs and your school reference/predicted grades (this gets written up in Michaelmas of Year 13). Not sure when applications for 2021 open, I applied in January for 2020 entry through their website. Basically just look out for when it says "applications open for 2021 entry", but I wouldn't worry about it until you start Year 13. Also no, it's completely independent to UCAS and doesn't take up a place. Hope this helped

Thank you So so much I’m very grateful!
I’m also curious about the interview, was it online, MMI? What sort of questions do they ask? Also about funding the degree?
Original post by kktrian

Thank you SO MUCH. I have a few more questions if that’s okay?

1. What are the tuition fees? Can English students get any finance support etc. (My family can’t afford thousands of pounds worth of tuition a year)

2) is the 5 year MBBS partnered with St George’s?

3) how competitive is the entry?

Thank you ever so much!!!!!
Hey guys :smile:
My name is Habib and i am a 4th year MD at university of Nicosia. I did my bachelors degree at Coventry Uni in the UK and moved to Cyprus for Medicine.

I had some free time due to the COVID lockdown so i thought i'd come on here and find students who want to study at UNIC and answer any questions :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions and i am more than happy to answer them.

Hello! I'm an international student interested in the 4 year MBBS SGUL program at the University of Nicosia. I have a question and would really appreciate your insight: what are the differences that you know in terms of quality/delivery of education between the 6 year MD and the graduate entry 4 year MBBS program? I assume, at least for the first 2 years of the MBBS program, that students in both programs use the same labs, libraries, etc. Would really appreciate your thoughts!
Original post by mdschoolhopeful3
Hello! I'm an international student interested in the 4 year MBBS SGUL program at the University of Nicosia. I have a question and would really appreciate your insight: what are the differences that you know in terms of quality/delivery of education between the 6 year MD and the graduate entry 4 year MBBS program? I assume, at least for the first 2 years of the MBBS program, that students in both programs use the same labs, libraries, etc. Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Hey there :smile:
i can't really say much on the MBBS program but ive heard good and bad things, just like the MD program or just ike any other course in any university. In terms of problems with faculty members or some professors not being good etc etc.. delivery of education, for mbbs is through lectures, Problem based learning (PBL), self learning and placements with the MD its basically the same but less of the self learning and PBL. The MBBS clinical years i think start in 2nd year, whereas for the MD they start in year 4 with some basic placements in each year. You should take a look at the course outline for both the courses and compare them to get a better understanding.

The library is shared between MBBS and MD throughout the whole duration of studies and so are the meeting rooms. Labs are also used together but obviously when MD have their classses there, MBBS aren't there and vice versa. Even during placements, you barely see the other course because everything is just scattered.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous778
Thank you SO MUCH. I have a few more questions if that’s okay?

1. What are the tuition fees? Can English students get any finance support etc. (My family can’t afford thousands of pounds worth of tuition a year)

2) is the 5 year MBBS partnered with St George’s?

3) how competitive is the entry?

Thank you ever so much!!!!!

Hi, sorry for the delay. I go through streaks where I'm on studentroom like every day and then disappear for weeks...
I believe the tuition fees are 18,000 euros per year, I also believe that UK students can apply for a student loan to cover some of the cost (in the same way you would for a UK university). I was also sent some information about applying for a partial scholarship which depends on your parents' income, but I haven't looked into that in detail yet.
Yes, the 5 year MBBS is partnered with St. George's but that is graduate entry only and you apply through UCAS I believe, it is seperate to to 6 year MD degree (which I am holding an offer for), which is undergraduate and run only by Nicosia.
Honestly not sure how competitive entry is...I believe they have somewhere around 150-200 places (I was told at interview but sorry I can't remember the specific number) but no idea of how many applicants they get. I think it's probably less competitive than a UK medical school (based on the fact I didn't get a UK offer, but then again that could be down to me being far more relaxed during the online interview)
Sorry, I haven't been that much help
Reply 35
Hello!

Im an Australian considering studying the MBBS 4 program next year at the University of Nicosia in Cyprus. I was wondering whether anyone can share their experience as an Australian or someone who knows an Australian? Id like to know whether they have been able to return to Australia to work and what they thought about the degree? Thanks!!
Reply 36
Original post by Zofran
I am a 3rd year MBBS Student....not an MD student - this is an important distinction.
The MBBS course run by SGUL is appalling. Do not go to it if you have other options, the course is half assed from an administrative point of view, and the organisation and ability to teach is poor. The faculty are not interested in listening to students.
It does allow you the opportunity to work directly back into the Foundation programme as your degree is from SGUL not UNIC if it is the 4 year MBBS you are applying to.

Hi Zofran!
This is an interesting perspective that I want to take into account. Can you tell me more about your experience, good and bad aspects? I am an Australian and I am considering studying the MBBS4 degree there.
Hi there!
Im also considering applying for entry in 2021. I was wondering whether anyone could give their honest opinions and judgements about the MBBS4 degree. I am an Australian hoping to practise in AUS when I graduate (and after F1 year). Also please point out any major flaws in the program. I would really appreciate it!!!
Hi! I have been to visit the uni in Cyprus as I am from there and the facilities are amazing! Both the 4 and 6 year course use the same facilities

Hey there :smile:
i can't really say much on the MBBS program but ive heard good and bad things, just like the MD program or just ike any other course in any university. In terms of problems with faculty members or some professors not being good etc etc.. delivery of education, for mbbs is through lectures, Problem based learning (PBL), self learning and placements with the MD its basically the same but less of the self learning and PBL. The MBBS clinical years i think start in 2nd year, whereas for the MD they start in year 4 with some basic placements in each year. You should take a look at the course outline for both the courses and compare them to get a better understanding.

The library is shared between MBBS and MD throughout the whole duration of studies and so are the meeting rooms. Labs are also used together but obviously when MD have their classses there, MBBS aren't there and vice versa. Even during placements, you barely see the other course because everything is just scattered.

Hope this helps
Reply 39
Original post by kktrian
Hi

I just got an offer from the University of Nicosia in Cyprus to start this October and was wondering if anyone else on here has applied/thinking of applying/gotten an offer?

Hi i have applied for medicine. 2020 entry i have interview this week. Bit nervous . R you from which country?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending