Calculators for Imperial EI Engineering Interview?

Watch
Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I got an interview coming up for Electronic and Information Engineering tomorrow. Anyone know if we're allowed to use scientific calculators for technical questions?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi do you have any idea of what questions they ask at EEE interviews?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
They’ll give you a calculator if they think you need it for the q
harper_
Badges: 10
Report 1 month ago
I would be surprised if you saw any numbers in the questions (they are more likely to be algebraic or conceptual), or if you did the interviewers would only be looking for approximate answers. They won't fail you for not getting the exact answer
Bazookatron21
Rep:
?
I had my interview and thought I might just post this for anyone that wants to know in the future:

The interview was semi-causal (no need to dress up nice) but do act accordingly as they don't give everyone offers like many other Universities.
The format is generally: Why you want to study at Imperial, Personal Statement, Technical (Maths and Physics questions), which is almost always drawing graphs like combined trig graphs and transformations. Fairly easy, all u have to do is find intercepts (when y = 0, what is x) and sub a few values in and u get some points and find a pattern... Try answer the weird Physics questions, but they mostly just wanna see how u think SO SAY UR THOUGHTS OUT LOUD (Very important!) Everyone's interview were around 20-30 minutes long. It used to be shorter but I guess they're more picky nowadays.

About calculators: My interviewer said 'I should know the trig values like sin30, cos60... without a calculator' so he didn't let me use one. Luckily I used a method I found online using ur fingers to figure them out (needed it when I was drawing the graph).

Hope this helps anyone in the future going in for an interview. Note, more competitive courses tend to have more difficult questions from what I've heard. Good Luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bazookatron21)
I had my interview and thought I might just post this for anyone that wants to know in the future:

The interview was semi-causal (no need to dress up nice) but do act accordingly as they don't give everyone offers like many other Universities.
The format is generally: Why you want to study at Imperial, Personal Statement, Technical (Maths and Physics questions), which is almost always drawing graphs like combined trig graphs and transformations. Fairly easy, all u have to do is find intercepts (when y = 0, what is x) and sub a few values in and u get some points and find a pattern... Try answer the weird Physics questions, but they mostly just wanna see how u think SO SAY UR THOUGHTS OUT LOUD (Very important!) Everyone's interview were around 20-30 minutes long. It used to be shorter but I guess they're more picky nowadays.

About calculators: My interviewer said 'I should know the trig values like sin30, cos60... without a calculator' so he didn't let me use one. Luckily I used a method I found online using ur fingers to figure them out (needed it when I was drawing the graph).

Hope this helps anyone in the future going in for an interview. Note, more competitive courses tend to have more difficult questions from what I've heard. Good Luck!o
Thank you, that was very very helpful!
Did you get one maths and one physics question? What was the graph that you had to draw? And what was the physics question? Sorry for so many questions I am just really nervous
Bazookatron21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you, that was very very helpful!
Did you get one maths and one physics question? What was the graph that you had to draw? And what was the physics question? Sorry for so many questions I am just really nervous
Don't worry about it, yeah one maths and physics questions but other ppl got more physics questions. The maths is very likely to be a trig graph or exponential. Mine was y= sin(x) + cos(x). You just gotta know the trig values and sub em in to get the y values and draw it. Physics ones can be anything. Mine was what is the increased circumference of the Earth when you increase the radius by 1 meter. (Ans was just 2pi but he wanted to know how sure I was of the answer since it seems weird that there's only about a 6 metre difference in circumference). Hope I didn't answer this too late and good luck with ur interview!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bazookatron21)
Don't worry about it, yeah one maths and physics questions but other ppl got more physics questions. The maths is very likely to be a trig graph or exponential. Mine was y= sin(x) + cos(x). You just gotta know the trig values and sub em in to get the y values and draw it. Physics ones can be anything. Mine was what is the increased circumference of the Earth when you increase the radius by 1 meter. (Ans was just 2pi but he wanted to know how sure I was of the answer since it seems weird that there's only about a 6 metre difference in circumference). Hope I didn't answer this too late and good luck with ur interview!
Thank you so much, that was very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed