Is staying an extra year at 6th form worth it?

Watch
diakurosawaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm doing Economics, Psychology and Maths this summer and I am predicted A*'s for both Econ and Psych but for Maths I'm only predicted a C since last mock I got an E.

I haven't always been bad at maths. At GCSE I managed to get an 8 (not too far off a 9) without even revising. With A-Level it's nit the fact I find the content difficult, it's just the fact there's so much of it that I find it hard to remember. (I'm also dyslexic too)

I want to study economics at uni so I know maths is very important hence why I'm wondering if it's worth staying for Year 14 just to do Maths since I know that if I had an extra year I'd definitely be able to get an A/A* since I know I do have the potential but realistically think that won't happen in the summer this year.

I feel like it makes sense that I don't sit the exam this year if I know I won't get the grade I want and I definitely don't want to end up re-taking.
I just don't know that if I spend an extra year just doing maths, if that might affect my chances at good universities, if I was to re-apply.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by diakurosawaaa)
I'm doing Economics, Psychology and Maths this summer and I am predicted A*'s for both Econ and Psych but for Maths I'm only predicted a C since last mock I got an E.

I haven't always been bad at maths. At GCSE I managed to get an 8 (not too far off a 9) without even revising. With A-Level it's nit the fact I find the content difficult, it's just the fact there's so much of it that I find it hard to remember. (I'm also dyslexic too)

I want to study economics at uni so I know maths is very important hence why I'm wondering if it's worth staying for Year 14 just to do Maths since I know that if I had an extra year I'd definitely be able to get an A/A* since I know I do have the potential but realistically think that won't happen in the summer this year.

I feel like it makes sense that I don't sit the exam this year if I know I won't get the grade I want and I definitely don't want to end up re-taking.
I just don't know that if I spend an extra year just doing maths, if that might affect my chances at good universities, if I was to re-apply.
Yes if it gets you where you want to go.
Have you sought out help for your dyscalcula?
Has your school offered it? Some schools wont, so check.
Also some unis wont like it.
Undecided whether you should just apply and sit this year as a C might be enough or you are better not taking and waiting till next year plus maybe get some work experience or do AS further Maths?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (38)
50.67%
No, they should still go ahead (16)
21.33%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (21)
28%

Watched Threads