The Student Room Group

A*A*AA to I'm gong to fail my first year

My whole life I've been waiting to go to university. It's been glamourised in movies and by friends. "The best 3 years of your life". This is meant to be the pinnacle of your social life, they said.

I don't have a social life and all my friends spend their free time playing video games instead of going outside.

It's almost the end of first year. I've missed my interviews at J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Barclays.

4/5 of my assignments haven't been submitted. I've been emailed saying that my attendance isn't good enough.

I've been waiting weeks just to see a councillor and struggle to get myself out of bed every morning.
University isnt for everyone. The push to get everyone to go destroys the value of it and puts people under unnecessary stress since we have all been led to think you are a failure if you don't go.
Original post by Anonymous
My whole life I've been waiting to go to university. It's been glamourised in movies and by friends. "The best 3 years of your life". This is meant to be the pinnacle of your social life, they said.

I don't have a social life and all my friends spend their free time playing video games instead of going outside.

It's almost the end of first year. I've missed my interviews at J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Barclays.

4/5 of my assignments haven't been submitted. I've been emailed saying that my attendance isn't good enough.

I've been waiting weeks just to see a councillor and struggle to get myself out of bed every morning.

Have you spoken to anyone at your university? Your personal tutor, student support etc.?
Original post by Anonymous

What do you mean you missed these interviews? You had a Goldman Sachs interview and didnt show up?!?!

--
The other stuff can be resolved, Socially go join societies, sports teams & speak to people on your course.

Your clearly a smart person, im sure if you work diligently you can find a way to pass your remaining assignments (first year is less important, but just scrape through...)

Not turning up to interviews with those I think is what I really find hard to get my head around, those are 'golden ticket' opportunities people work tirelessly for and you just missed it, I actually think its quite selfish to take a slot and not go, another more deserving student will now miss out the chance to interview for those companies...
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Have you spoken to anyone at your university? Your personal tutor, student support etc.?

To my personal tutor, yes. I've tried to go to student support but they were close to useless.

Outside of university I've visited my GP and I'm currently waiting for NHS councilling.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
The other stuff can be resolved, Socially go join societies, sports teams & speak to people on your course.

Dude I do CompSci. My course is the most anti-social thing known to man. It's so depressing being sociable and everyone around you isn't. They hardly go out. Not even once a week. In first year. Trust me you'd be depressed if you were me too.

In terms of socities I've been to events of gaming, history, efs, Boardgames, etc.

I thought gaming would be stuff like FIFA or CoD. It was League of Legends. Boardgames - no monopoly just dungeons and dragons type of games :s-smilie: . History had 4 people (including me) lol. Efs had loads of people BUT they always have talks and I always fall asleep during the talks haha.

Quick Reply

Latest