The Student Room Group

Lost motivation for my uni degree (final year undergraduate)

I'm ngl, it's fair to say I'm finished with university. I'm not gonna drop out as I am in my final year and have come this far yet I have lost all motivation to complete my degree. There is so much reading to do, more than I thought, and it's something I have struggled with during my time at uni. I have never been an avid reader, I did expect to do some reading when I joined uni, but I really cannot handle the amount that there actually is. I am starting to feel very stressed out now as I feel stupid in my seminars cos I never complete all the readings for it, I am dreading my exams and have hardly done work on my dissertation. I wish I could get my act together and get my head down in doing all these things but like I said I have no motivation to do this. I got a mid 2:2 last year and need a good 2:1 to even scrape a 2:1 overall and quite frankly I don't think I will be able to achieve it. I am not sure what I can ask you guys but if there is anyone else that is or has been in my situation then let me know cos I really have no idea how I'm gonna get through the next few months.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time. It sounds like you're stressed and demotivated, rather than the course actually being too much (you wouldn't have gotten this far if it was actually ore than you can cope with) - which is an awful feeling to struggle with. It's definitely not too late to do well though! There's plenty of time left in the year, so you can still achieve fantastic things! If I were you I'd talk to a tutor, counsellor, whoever you have access to, and try to work out a strategy for the time that's left and perhaps try to get to the bottom of why you're feeling this way.

I sometimes feel completely overwhelmed by work, and I chalked it up to a combination of work actually being too much, and me being too lazy. However, when I started talking about it more with my tutor and my friends, I realised that I was more just scared of failure and struggling with other things - and as soon as I resolved those, the course became entirely manageable. I hope something like that works for you too!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm ngl, it's fair to say I'm finished with university. I'm not gonna drop out as I am in my final year and have come this far yet I have lost all motivation to complete my degree. There is so much reading to do, more than I thought, and it's something I have struggled with during my time at uni. I have never been an avid reader, I did expect to do some reading when I joined uni, but I really cannot handle the amount that there actually is. I am starting to feel very stressed out now as I feel stupid in my seminars cos I never complete all the readings for it, I am dreading my exams and have hardly done work on my dissertation. I wish I could get my act together and get my head down in doing all these things but like I said I have no motivation to do this. I got a mid 2:2 last year and need a good 2:1 to even scrape a 2:1 overall and quite frankly I don't think I will be able to achieve it. I am not sure what I can ask you guys but if there is anyone else that is or has been in my situation then let me know cos I really have no idea how I'm gonna get through the next few months.

If you need some support then try and talk to someone at the uni about it. You are almost there so might as well push ahead for the final shove then once you have the degree it won't really matter anymore as it can't be taken away from you
I’m in a similar boat to you, have you got an idea of what you might go into even if it’s not related to your degree? Are there things you like doing in your spare time which can help take your mind off uni work. I’d also talk to lecturers or support staff at the university, one final push left.

Quick Reply

Latest