Do you think a sport where a person's size is the greatest advantage is fair

Watch
Ruben jann
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey when I watch Volleyball and Basketball I usually find it very sad that , no guys are the normal height and even if so e guys were 175 cm tall, they wouldn't have a chance at all even if they could jump heigh or be just as fast as the majority of players who usually are 205-210 cm tall, and they don't represent the normal population at all, and to its a mystery why this sport have any fans, because I will find it strange to support a sport I never could beens part of as no guys under 190 cm ever been successful except many one single player 25-35 years ago, out of many thousands players. Oppersit football where Messi 166 cm tall and Peter Crouch 202 cm tall bouth are good at the game, so every one could be good at football. Love to get your opinion about sports who which excludes the vast majority because they are not extremely high.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haven’t you created other threads about height? You need to stop obsessing.
Ruben jann
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Haven’t you created other threads about height? You need to stop obsessing.
Couldn't you just try to take my question a little serious, would you like to play basketball or Volleyball with 6-8 other players who were 205-215 cm tall, and would you find it fair. And last of all would you think watching a sport were skills isn't the main issue but the height of the players is , as I'm sure even though you practice and practice you wouldn't have a chance at all while a guy 215 to 225 tall who maybe just arrive from another country will be in the game right away. Can't imagine it would be very exciting to watch a game only for tall people. Oppersit football were Messi and Peter Crouch bouth do fint though there height difference are more than 40 cm. Or table tennis where tall and short do fine too
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the end all competitive sports are about skill, but then there are some physical traits (like height) that certainly help to acquire said skill. It's not like people under 6ft can't play basketball, it's just that they are less genetically predisposed to be talented at it. I don't think that's unfair, in fact everything in life works that way
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was under the impression most people got into sports for the fun of it? not due to the heights of their opponents. If you can't beat them at height you'd need to beat them at skill, speed, or montages, if that's not enough, well, TS, you were never cut out to be a 'Great Athlete'
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think I've ever played basketball or volleyball in my life.

I think if I was like 6ft7 I would still never play these sports.
I could not give a crap.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
F1 and horse jocky you tend to have to be smaller to be successful - is that unfair too?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved this thread from Football to Sports, as you are talking about another sports in general too.

I think that the disadvantage of body size can be compensated by another skills. Messi in football for instance is small, but very fast and tricky in his movements. That goes for another kinds of sports in my opinion too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads