The Student Room Group

Liverpool university vs Nottingham

Hi, Im fortunate to have gotten an offer for Veterinary Medicine from both Liverpool and Nottingham, which were my top choices. However, I’m really struggling to pick between them. Liverpool is around 4 hours away from me, making it very inconvenient to get to. The vet school at Nottingham is in Sutton Bonnington, so I’m worried I won’t get the student experience and feel isolated from the city, especially as there are no shops nearby to even go food shopping. If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated! Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by vetapplicant111
Hi, Im fortunate to have gotten an offer for Veterinary Medicine from both Liverpool and Nottingham, which were my top choices. However, I’m really struggling to pick between them. Liverpool is around 4 hours away from me, making it very inconvenient to get to. The vet school at Nottingham is in Sutton Bonnington, so I’m worried I won’t get the student experience and feel isolated from the city, especially as there are no shops nearby to even go food shopping. If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated! Thanks

Both will get you to where you want to go. Those currently at Liverpool will tell you it's the best, ditto for those currently at Nottingham. As an outsider I'd say the Nottingham course is better but the main thing to choose on is which location you'll be happiest at for the next 5 years. Write a list or your pros and cons (not anyone else's) including if you have friends going there, travel time to home, etc etc and choose the one you think you'd prefer.
To echo the above
As a Liverpool student I'm probably going to tell you Liverpool is the best :wink:
But I know plenty of students at Nottingham and actually for me I do think Nottingham may have been a better fit for me personally. Nottingham isn't in the city (to me not a bad thing) whereas Liverpool you do have the variety of city life for three and then your final somewhere more idyllic.
I wouldn't worry about the uni being a few hours from your home - realistically you won't be going home too much anyway. There is a coop in the main student village at Nottingham and most students do have cars (with many driving into uni, though busses do exist)
This is a similar situation at Liverpool for the last two years however - you realistically either need a car or live with those that do as there aren't busses to Leahurst and the supermarkets are a bit of a drive. Not to mention on some rotations you will have to travel away from uni.

I would go to both applicant days and ask as many questions as possible :smile:
Reply 3
I am at Nottingham Sutton bonnington Uni and you dont get excluded from the student experience.
There are loads of activities run on campus ( balls, barn parties, hall parties) and free buses to the main campus all day everyday so you can easily go to any events there.
The course at nottingham is very hands on and you get a lot of practical experience from day 1.
I dont know much about liverpool vet course but either will make you a good vet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending