The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Nottingham vs Leeds

I’m currently abroad an unable to visit the unis so I’m trying to get as much info as I can through others lol (also I’ll be studying Law LLB if that makes a difference )
I’ve heard so many stereotypes about each and not sure to what extent they’re actually true .
Bristol I’ve heard is the most prestigious of the three but notorious for being snobby and druggy
Leeds i’ve heard is very fun but not “serious” enough or as “good”
Nottingham I haven’t heard much other than it being in a “dangerous city”
So to what extent are these stereotypes true ? Which uni do you think is most ideal in terms of both prestige and social life ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Uni2020:)
I’m currently abroad an unable to visit the unis so I’m trying to get as much info as I can through others lol (also I’ll be studying Law LLB if that makes a difference )
I’ve heard so many stereotypes about each and not sure to what extent they’re actually true .
Bristol I’ve heard is the most prestigious of the three but notorious for being snobby and druggy
So to what extent are these stereotypes true ? Which uni do you think is most ideal in terms of both prestige and social life ?

Bristol is the nicest city our of all of them in my opinion . Leeds+Bristol are city universities while Nottingham is a campus university. Nottingham has a very pretty campus with lots of green surroundings and it has a very modern library. Nottingham is a safe city, I think that every city can be dangerous and it is up to you to make sure you don't put yourself in situations that can make you vulnerable.
Original post by Uni2020:)

first off ignore all the stereotypes:
You'll find people who take drugs at every uni, you will be an adult pick your own friends and the places you go, so want to avoid it, then you can,
With any city there is a level of crime, to avoid danger just use common sense ie walking back home drunk, go with friends or get an uber, stick to roads with streetlights, get contents insurance...

I would say Bristol/Notts are slightly more prestigious and have a slight careers edge in top law firms but ultimately how much you network and spend time building a strong CV is the most important thing.

All 3 are excellent unis, but are all in completely different parts of the country, different unis, just pick the one that fits best for you.
If you genuinely don't mind whether you are in the south west, the East Midlands or the north of England (all three are well-placed for getting out and seeing more of the country, btw), then are there any specific details of any of the courses offered which are more or less of interest (I assume that a certain amount of the content will be 'set'(?), but if there are options, do any attract more than others?).

As an observation and with no respect to subject to be studied, Nottingham seems to be a popular destination from where we are, Bristol less so, but amongst my daughter's year group, Leeds was definitely a university that people 'fell in love with' and not just for its 'fun' reputation:smile:. (She decided to go to Birmingham in the end, though).On the campus v. city scale, it's sort of both - part of the city, but a defined area, rather than Bristol, which is much more 'a collection of buildings on streets', iyswim. Bristol itself is pretty cool, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending