Getting a PC

Watch
MrBleu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Consider going with an all-AMD build as you can get real bang for your buck that way. Also, if you're up for getting a custom PC but don't want to go through the hassle of building it, there are various retailers who'll do it for you (bit more expensive that way, though). I can vouch for CCL.

Make sure you really do your research before purchasing. Do NOT just buy any old pre-built PC that you think looks decent, you need to actually know it's decent. I've seen plenty of pre-built systems with weak power supplies, for example. That is not a component you want to overlook.

People on r/buildapc and the Tom's Hardware forums can be very helpful with this sort of thing.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by inconanon)
I found a PC online with these specs. about 500 including windows 10 home plus. (The Novatech Core Ember). would this be worth the price, anything you would change?

PROCESSOR
Description :
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7Ghz Quad-Core Processor [ This is an APU combined graphics and cpu ok for fortnight- not for gaming. 4 cores not really enough anymore either.]

Clockspeed :
3.7GHz / 4.2GHz Turbo
No. of Cores :

MEMORY
Description :
2 X 4GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory [ Too slow and not enough. Need 16gb DDR4 3200]

HARDDRIVE
Description :
240GB SSD

Description :
1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive

Interface :
SATA

POWER SUPPLY
Description :
400Watt Power Supply [ Too small most psu for the future 550w-650w]

MOTHERBOARD
Description :
Gigabyte A320M-H Motherboard [ Nope get the B450 MSI Tomahawk max for future upgradeability] .

Form Factor :
Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 19.5cm

CPU Support :
AMD Ryzen processor, AMD 7th Generation A-series/ Athlon processor

Chipset :
AMD A320

Audio :
High Definition Audio

IO :
1 x PS/2 keyboard port, 1 x PS/2 mouse port, 1 x DVI-D port, 1 x HDMI port, 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1 x RJ-45 port, 3 x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

LAN :
Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

USB :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

RAID :
RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10

SATA Ports :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors, 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support)

PCI :
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16), 2 x PCI Express x1 slots

Memory Slots :
2 x DDR4 DIMM sockets

Max Memory Capacity :
32GB

OS Compliance :
Windows 10 64-bit

WIRELESS CARD
Description :
300Mbps 802.11n Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

P.S. i have looked into building my own pc but i currently dont have the funds and majority of pre builts provide the option of payment plans.
Nope, This would be a bad buy. Save up. One that you can upgrade can last you 5 years.
Agree CCL have had some good deals recently c £500. Just save the money till you have enough for the one that meets the requirements. You will regret skim;ping for something thats un upgradeable.
Last edited by 999tigger; 3 weeks ago
Nexus_Heathens
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If someone tells you to buy one off of amazon, please do not listen to them. My choice would be either CyberPower or OverclockersUK, but CyberPower, in my opinion is the obvious choice, being, you can also add a good mouse and keyboard for only £25 extra! They both have excellent warranty plans, so please take my word for it! By the way, I'm typing this up on my gaming system
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/
Nexus_Heathens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by young Mind)
I think the best place is amazon.com to buy any kind of electronic device especially as you are looking for a gaming computer.
Amazon is so unreliable for a specific build, also, pretty tacky
Nexus_Heathens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I found one for you https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...8aAtZ7EALw_wcB
Nexus_Heathens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry this link doesn't want to send, but this is for a good budget computer https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...8aAtZ7EALw_wcB
Nexus_Heathens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry, my link isn't sending and I don't even know if the comments are going through but I think that the Ultra 3 Elite on CyberPower, which is around you price range
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nexus_Heathens)
Also by the way, you said you need something for £500, well I found this one with a great processer and Graphics Card, hope this helps!
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...8aAtZ7EALw_wcB
Nope its rubbish and stop spamming posts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (241)
33.75%
No (473)
66.25%

Watched Threads