The Student Room Group

Have your say: XR protesters arrested after digging up Cambridge college lawn

Here's where you can post a comment about our XR protesters arrested after digging up Cambridge college lawn article.

Read the full XR protesters arrested after digging up Cambridge college lawn article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Scroll to see replies

lol

Serves Trinity right for their USS pensions withdrawal ****show :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
lol

Serves Trinity right for their USS pensions withdrawal ****show :tongue:

Responding to hate with hate achieves nothing
Original post by yankang.qi
to the point where they blocked an ambulance from passing and it had to turn around.

They stated they would allow any ambulance through with blue flashing lights (i.e. en route to or from an emergency), and they actually all ambulances through (with or without flashing lights) all weekend, at the very least (I wasn't working Mon/Tues so no idea since then).

Additionally XR did not themselves shut down the road - the police and Cambridgeshire City Council did so when XR arrived, to "take control back" from them. By doing exactly what they were going to do anyway. After CCC and the police shut down the road, XR put up their banners and set up camp.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Responding to hate with hate achieves nothing

What a milquetoast view.

Trinity College is one of the richest private institutions in the UK, and as I recall the third largest landowner (after the crown and National Trust). They aren't an "ickle underdog" fighting for scraps to keep themselves afloat. They are the "establishment". There was an almost negligible chance of them feeling any financial repercussion from their investment in the USS scheme, however their withdrawal threatens the stability of the entire scheme - to the point where if one or more major backers pull out, the entire pension scheme could collapse, leaving tens of thousands without a pension.

Beyond that, the manicured lawns of the Cambridge (and Oxford) colleges are ecological disasters, as they prevent any natural ecosystem from flourishing in those areas, and consume enormous amounts of water to be kept green - and aren't even used for much, if anything, for the vast majority of the year. Even King's College has, after consultation, put in plans to turn it's largest lawn on the Backs into a natural meadow, which would support a varied and natural local ecosystem. Digging such a lawn up seems like quite a good first step frankly.

Ignoring all context of a situation to express a centrist platitude doesn't make you more enlightened than others - quite the opposite.
(edited 4 years ago)
Tear gas them, round them up and charge them with criminal damage.
What a milquetoast view.

Trinity College is one of the richest private institutions in the UK, and as I recall the third largest landowner (after the crown and National Trust). They aren't an "ickle underdog" fighting for scraps to keep themselves afloat. They are the "establishment". There was an almost negligible chance of them feeling any financial repercussion from their investment in the USS scheme, however their withdrawal threatens the stability of the entire scheme - to the point where if one or more major backers pull out, the entire pension scheme could collapse, leaving tens of thousands without a pension.

Beyond that, the manicured lawns of the Cambridge (and Oxford) colleges are ecological disasters, as they prevent any natural ecosystem from flourishing in those areas, and consume enormous amounts of water to be kept green - and aren't even used for much, if anything, for the vast majority of the year. Even King's College has, after consultation, put in plans to turn it's largest lawn on the Backs into a natural meadow, which would support a varied and natural local ecosystem. Digging such a lawn up seems like quite a good first step frankly.

Ignoring all context of a situation to express a centrist platitude doesn't make you more enlightened than others - quite the opposite.

I was just simply stating something. I agree with what you say but I was just stating something
(edited 4 years ago)

as I recall the third largest landowner (after the crown and National Trust).

Trinity has 13,335 acres, which puts them outside the Top 50. http://tlio.org.uk/the-uks-50-biggest-landowners-revealed-lovemoney-com/
Trinity College is one of the richest private institutions in the UK, and as I recall the third largest landowner (after the crown and National Trust).

They don't even feature in the top 50 alone the 3rd largest.
[QUOTE=Trinity College is one of the richest private institutions in the UK, and as I recall the third largest landowner (after the crown and National Trust). They aren't an "ickle underdog" fighting for scraps to keep themselves afloat. They are the "establishment".

@artful_lounger think you’ve been proved wrong here
if any of these vandals are students they should be turfed out
@artful_lounger think you’ve been proved wrong here

Not entirely, they are still incredibly rich just not big in the land market.
Original post by DiddyDec
Not entirely, they are still incredibly rich just not big in the land market.

Oh yes, they are very rich indeed. No wonder a huge amount of money laundering goes on there
Oh yes, they are very rich indeed. No wonder a huge amount of money laundering goes on there

Can you backup that unsubstantiated claim? Money laundering is very serious offence that should be bandied about so carelessly.
The took special precautions not to damage a tree... So grass bad but trees good is the message here I think.
That grass needed re-turfing anyway.

And your evidence to back up that Daily Mail style allegation is...?
Original post by Reality Check
And your evidence to back up that Daily Mail style allegation is...?

Not there specifically, there was an investigation done and it was uncovered that there was a lot of money laundering going on in private schools and universities. I can’t find the exact article, I’ll try though.

@DiddyDec
(edited 4 years ago)
Not there specifically, there was an investigation done and it was uncovered that there was a lot of money laundering going on in private schools and universities. I can’t find the exact article, I’ll try though.

@DiddyDec

I would suggest you do not make potentially damaging and libelous claims about any institution or person without the proper evidence.
They are right to dig up the lawn
.Look at the flooding going on all over the country and the Environment Agency's statement about flooding in the future.Cambridge saying it is going to get to carbon zero emissions by 2050 is pathetic.Their own scientists are saying we do not have that long.The Oil Companies have known about the effect of carbon emissions for decades and kept quiet.The Environmental scientists have been warning about climate change for years but governments chose to ignore them.Trinity's grass is a small price to pay to highlight the issues and the banks deserve all the dirt you can throw at them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending