The Student Room Group

Rejection from Oxford

I have been rejected twice for graduate studies by the same college at Oxford; can I try the third time? What's your advise, because Oxford is a dream University I hope to attend?
You can apply as many times as you like, however you do need to address whatever issue(s) are causing your rejection. Did you ask for feedback when you applied previously? If so, what did they advise? What have you done since your last application that is relevant to the course you're applying to?

Additionally, it's usually advised that students reapplying to Oxford or Cambridge apply to a different college, so they have a "blank slate". In theory previous application shouldn't make a difference, but applying to an admission tutor that didn't potentially interview you the year before and possibly therefore remember what went poorly potentially would be a sensible aim.
Get feedback. Learn. Improve.

Try another college.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You can apply as many times as you like, however you do need to address whatever issue(s) are causing your rejection. Did you ask for feedback when you applied previously? If so, what did they advise? What have you done since your last application that is relevant to the course you're applying to?

Additionally, it's usually advised that students reapplying to Oxford or Cambridge apply to a different college, so they have a "blank slate". In theory previous application shouldn't make a difference, but applying to an admission tutor that didn't potentially interview you the year before and possibly therefore remember what went poorly potentially would be a sensible aim.

I got rejected twice post interviews. The MSc course I want to study is offered by just one collage. How do I deal with this; if you advise applying to different college? I just got this year's application result and i started that one can request feedback on or before February 15. Therefore, I was not able to get feedback for the two times I have applied, because result come in after February 15
Original post by Aflo
I got rejected twice post interviews. The MSc course I want to study is offered by just one collage. How do I deal with this; if you advise applying to different college? I just got this year's application result and i started that one can request feedback on or before February 15. Therefore, I was not able to get feedback for the two times I have applied, because result come in after February 15

My comments above were more oriented towards undergraduate applications (the most common query on here). For PG courses things might be different - certainly I know of other universities that indicate if your application is unsuccessful a certain number of times they can't consider further applications, for PG courses.

What course are you applying to? I wasn't aware of any course being offered solely by a single college even at PG level!
Reply 5
Original post by Aflo

Hi there,

I would recommend emailing the college to tell them that you only received the result after the 15th of February and because of that you would also like to request for feedback. They might be willing to still give you feedback because otherwise it would be unfair for you as finding out the result is out of your control.

May I ask why you found out after 15th of February? Did you apply via UCAS? I found out my result on the 12th of January via UCAS track as did my other peers.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Apad121
Hi there,

I would recommend emailing the college to tell them that you only received the result after the 15th of February and because of that you would also like to request for feedback. They might be willing to still give you feedback because otherwise it would be unfair for you as finding out the result is out of your control.

May I ask why you found out after 15th of February? Did you apply via UCAS? I found out my result on the 12th of January via UCAS track as did my other peers.

Hope this helps!

They are applying to a postgrad course, so deadlines are different and you don't normally apply via UCAS for PG courses. I didn't realise that initially either :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by Aflo
I have been rejected twice for graduate studies by the same college at Oxford; can I try the third time? What's your advise, because Oxford is a dream University I hope to attend?

My advice is spend your energy applying else where. Their loss :wink:
Reply 8
My comments above were more oriented towards undergraduate applications (the most common query on here). For PG courses things might be different - certainly I know of other universities that indicate if your application is unsuccessful a certain number of times they can't consider further applications, for PG courses.

What course are you applying to? I wasn't aware of any course being offered solely by a single college even at PG level!

I applied for MSc in International Health and Tropical Medicine as an international student.
Reply 9
Original post by Apad121
Hi there,

Hope this helps!

I did apply for a MSc in International Health and Tropical Medicine
Original post by Aflo
I applied for MSc in International Health and Tropical Medicine as an international student.

That course is offered by by 17 colleges, incidentally, but for PG courses you aren't admitted by the college as undergrads are, so the applying to another college advice is not relevant to you. As above though, you really need to find out from them why you've been rejected, and make sure you are actually doing something different to add onto your application from the previous year - you can't just rely on trying to perform better in the interview without changing any of the paper application, I would think.

Also please do not repost the same thread multiple times in different forums - your thread should only be in a single forum and it creates a lot of work to try and collate each individual thread you've made into one thread in the correct forum. The thread you made originally in the Oxford forum was in the correct place, and I can see @nexttime already provided much the same advice, so there was no need to repost it multiple times to try and fish for alternative advice...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
If you're applying for graduate study, you'll have been rejected by the department (the admitting body) rather than the college, so changing your college of preference won't improve your chances of being made an offer.
Reply 12
Original post by Aly88
My advice is spend your energy applying else where. Their loss :wink:

Thanks for your input
Why trying forever? Don't waste your time with that !
Original post by Aflo

If you've been rejected twice there's probably something fundamental about your applications that means you are not being considered.

Personally I would move on, but if you are determined you can always ask for feedback and see if it's something you can fix or improve. At the same time ask if they would consider a third application.

Have a good plan B in mind.
Reply 15
Original post by Aflo
Thanks for your input

I know your frustration as I am going through a similar experience. I just think that sometimes rejections are just meant we are more suited to elsewhere and that it is usually for a reason. Good Luck.
Reply 16
That course is offered by by 17 colleges, incidentally, but for PG courses you aren't admitted by the college as undergrads are, so the applying to another college advice is not relevant to you. As above though, you really need to find out from them why you've been rejected, and make sure you are actually doing something different to add onto your application from the previous year - you can't just rely on trying to perform better in the interview without changing any of the paper application, I would think.

Also please do not repost the same thread multiple times in different forums - your thread should only be in a single forum and it creates a lot of work to try and collate each individual thread you've made into one thread in the correct forum. The thread you made originally in the Oxford forum was in the correct place, and I can see @nexttime already provided much the same advice, so there was no need to repost it multiple times to try and fish for alternative advice...

Ok, thanks. Your input was so good. I have just written two of the course directors about giving me feedback, if they can.
Reply 17
Original post by Glushko
If you're applying for graduate study, you'll have been rejected by the department (the admitting body) rather than the college, so changing your college of preference won't improve your chances of being made an offer.

Thanks.. Thought the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending