localmemelord
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
we know that extremely high temperatures AND pressures are needed over come the electrostatic repulsion between hydrogen nuclei(for e.g.) in order to fuse them together to form a helium nuclues.
my question is, is an extremely high-pressure and low-temperature environment sufficient enough for fusion to take place? or do both of them need to be high?
MagnusStormrider
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact is, by having extremely high pressures, you automatically get very high temperatures.
It's possible to have very high temperatures without a very high pressure, but not vice versa, so no, they both have to be high.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by localmemelord)
we know that extremely high temperatures AND pressures are needed over come the electrostatic repulsion between hydrogen nuclei(for e.g.) in order to fuse them together to form a helium nuclues.
my question is, is an extremely high-pressure and low-temperature environment sufficient enough for fusion to take place? or do both of them need to be high?
Unless you have a tame neutron star or black hole to hand, there's no way to get the nuclei close enough together without a high temperature.
localmemelord
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MagnusStormrider)
The fact is, by having extremely high pressures, you automatically get very high temperatures.
It's possible to have very high temperatures without a very high pressure, but not vice versa, so no, they both have to be high.
so in most circumstances it is high both right?
MagnusStormrider
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by localmemelord)
so in most circumstances it is high both right?
Has to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.08%
No (337)
69.92%

Watched Threads