riaaree
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
my theme is the effects of the American dream on the books the great gatsby and rules of civility by amor towles but I'm fine with gatsby just struggling with towles. if anyone has read these books, your help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm not even at 1,000 words and I'm on my 3rd draft
1Winnie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by riaaree)
my theme is the effects of the American dream on the books the great gatsby and rules of civility by amor towles but I'm fine with gatsby just struggling with towles. if anyone has read these books, your help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm not even at 1,000 words and I'm on my 3rd draft
Hi,
I haven't read 'Rules of Civility', but I know Gatsby pretty well. Firstly, your question is too broad - narrow it down e.g. 'the effects of the American Dream on ...' or look at specific themes e.g. disappointment, isolation, gender, social class, disillusion, ambition, romantic relationships.

As you are happy with Gatsby identify key ideas from there and then find comparables in the other novel. Stick to your question. For example, if you look at the disappointment of the American dream (Myrtle, Gatsby himself, perhaps Daisy). Gatsby is driven by the American Dream however not just for personal gain but to win Daisy. The reality of the American dream is much darker than gaining material wealth and status. The Dream is, rather like Daisy, quite shallow and the path to achieving it is rather murky.

The detail in paragraphs (word count) comes from taking examples from the text, explaining how the powerful vocabulary/symbolism gets across your theme, consider how readers react (at the time and modern readers) and then link to historical/literary context. Not sure what board you are sitting, but also see what other people have written about the texts or how they might be presented on screen if applicable. Do you agree with them or have you or a critic found an alternative explanation from the quote/section you have chosen. The bulk of the explanations should be based on the actual extracts/quotes you choose from the texts.

Hope this helps.
riaaree
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by 1Winnie)
Hi,
I haven't read 'Rules of Civility', but I know Gatsby pretty well. Firstly, your question is too broad - narrow it down e.g. 'the effects of the American Dream on ...' or look at specific themes e.g. disappointment, isolation, gender, social class, disillusion, ambition, romantic relationships.

As you are happy with Gatsby identify key ideas from there and then find comparables in the other novel. Stick to your question. For example, if you look at the disappointment of the American dream (Myrtle, Gatsby himself, perhaps Daisy). Gatsby is driven by the American Dream however not just for personal gain but to win Daisy. The reality of the American dream is much darker than gaining material wealth and status. The Dream is, rather like Daisy, quite shallow and the path to achieving it is rather murky.

The detail in paragraphs (word count) comes from taking examples from the text, explaining how the powerful vocabulary/symbolism gets across your theme, consider how readers react (at the time and modern readers) and then link to historical/literary context. Not sure what board you are sitting, but also see what other people have written about the texts or how they might be presented on screen if applicable. Do you agree with them or have you or a critic found an alternative explanation from the quote/section you have chosen. The bulk of the explanations should be based on the actual extracts/quotes you choose from the texts.

Hope this helps.
thank you! im with wjec
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads