AnonymousUser_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, can someone explain these? For a test...

I know most of these but I want a good detail explanation.

I can define and distinguish between atoms, elements, compounds, mixtures, lattice, and molecules.

I can interpret and draw particle diagrams that display atoms, elements, compounds, molecules and mixtures.

I can explain why mixtures can be separated by physical means, whereas the atoms of a compound can not.

I can determine chemical formulae based on particle diagrams for simple molecules and compounds.
MagnusStormrider
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Atom: Smallest particle you can divide an element into whilst retaining that element's properties.
Element: A substance made up of only one type of atom. Found on the periodic table.
Compound: Substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together. Has different properties to each of the individual constituent elements.
Mixture: Two or more elements or compounds physically but not chemically combined. Does not require chemical methods to separate constituents. Each element or compound retains its usual properties.
Molecule: Can be an element or compound. Must contain at least two atoms covalently bonded to one another. I molecule of a compound, then it is the smallest 'piece' of that compound that it is possible to have. Examples of molecules include diatomic halogens, oxygen, and nitrogen (elemental molecules). Molecules of compounds include carbon dioxide, and methane.
Lattice: Structure of ionic compounds (giant ionic lattice), and some covalent compounds (molecular lattice).

Mixtures can be separated by physical means because there are no chemical bonds between the elements/compounds which make them up. Compounds have chemical bonds between atoms or ions, so can't.

What year are you in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
8.57%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
71.43%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (9)
12.86%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed