How important is being a part of the student council for your Personal Statement?

Watch
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I just got rejected as Head Boy for my school. Although I made it through a few rounds of interviews, I fell short on the final one & ended up not getting the position.

Although it does kind of sting, I am grateful for the opportunity & experience that the application process gave me. I believe that the interviews and application writing scenarios were useful as it prepares me for perhaps future job interviews etc.

However, a part of me can't help but worry.. I am planning on applying for an economics degree at Cambridge/LSE/UCL, how drastically will it affect my application that I was not a part of my school's student council?
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Depends on what other extracurricular activities you do. I don't think that Cambridge/LSE or UCL or any university really, would specifically look for people who have been a member of the student council and will reject you if you don't.
If you've done other extracurricular activities that has enabled you to showcase the same abilities you would do as a member of the student council then I see no reason whatsoever how your Head Boy rejection will affect your chances of getting accepted into your preferred uni.
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
I just got rejected as Head Boy for my school. Although I made it through a few rounds of interviews, I fell short on the final one & ended up not getting the position.

Although it does kind of sting, I am grateful for the opportunity & experience that the application process gave me. I believe that the interviews and application writing scenarios were useful as it prepares me for perhaps future job interviews etc.

However, a part of me can't help but worry.. I am planning on applying for an economics degree at Cambridge/LSE/UCL, how drastically will it affect my application that I was not a part of my school's student council?
Honestly, not at all. Its "nice to have", but no more than that. The real action will be around things you have done that show specific talent / track record in the areas you want to study. Academic achievement tops everything, "some" extra curricular are useful, just to highlight that you had a bit of "spare capacity" at A level and are therefore likely to survive a demanding course that takes things up a notch.
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Thank you for the replies so far, guys! I'm currently in Y12 and I'm a maths prefect (and mentor, to the younger years), as well as concertmaster for my school's orchestra & I do some volunteering CCAs and have been on a service trip overseas before to help a rural village school there. Do you think that these extracurriculars would be sufficient?
Mosaic4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)

Don’t worry, it shouldn’t impact on your uni application at all. Your personal statement should be about why you want to study economics and what you have done to find out more about it. Things such as wider reading or MOOCs and explaining what you have got from them are much more important than being Head Boy.

Cambridge calls these sort of things super curriculars as they are linked to your subject and are what they want to see rather than extra curriculars such as sports or playing an instrument or being head boy.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The most important issue for Economics is your A level subject choices. A level Maths is a must for leading universities and some prefer Further Maths as well. This is far more important than being Head Boy or part of the student council
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The most important issue for Economics is your A level subject choices. A level Maths is a must for leading universities and some prefer Further Maths as well. This is far more important than being Head Boy or part of the student council
I take Maths, F. Maths, Econ & Chemistry
Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi there

Honestly don't worry about it. I think it is correlation that quite often the people in the student council also get into Oxbridge instead of cause and effect.

Oxbridge really stress the importance of extra curricular directly related to your subject. I wrote about some extra essays, lab experiences instead. Participate in competitions in economics! You can also do Chemistry competitions as well. I took part in the RSC Analystic Competition and we came 1st place in the region for that! That was much more valuable to have on a personal statement.

The only benefit of having things like headboy on your personal statement is to show that you're human and not just a book. You could easily make up for it by volunteering or something similar. Remember that not all schools even have headboy and headgirl roles! I myself was the headboy of my secondary school, but I only gave it a brief mention alongside volunteering to teach primary school children and lab experiences. But these things are not very important for Oxbridge. It was the academic things that were of worth. Then again, the personal statement isn't as important for Oxbridge as it is for other universities as Oxbridge strongly stress their interviews as the most important things! I had to stay 4 days for interviews at Oxford but it was all worth it as I received an offer for Chemistry from Oxford!

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads