The Student Room Group

Becoming a hijabi as a lawyer

Okay, so, I am a hijabi who is currently a teenager, and I'm thinking that I'll probably want to become a lawyer. The only thing which is holding me back, however, is that I wear a hijab. I'm worried if I'll be discriminated against, or people won't listen to me just because of my hijab. Obviously, I know times are changing and that people have become more open-minded, but it's just that thought in the back of my mind. Opinions?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by j.m5478
Okay, so, I am a hijabi who is currently a teenager, and I'm thinking that I'll probably want to become a lawyer. The only thing which is holding me back, however, is that I wear a hijab. I'm worried if I'll get discriminated against, or people won't listen to me just because of my hijab. Thoughts?

Whether you like it or not, many people including myself, view the hijab, and similar garments as a means of oppressing women. Those who (say they) freely wear it are considered to be brainwashed and setting a bad example. So, yes, many people will most certainly view you less favourably. It's not what you, and the lovey-dovey brigade, want to hear, but it's the truth!
Reply 2
Original post by David Getling
Whether you like it or not, many people including myself, view the hijab, and similar garments as a means of oppressing women. Those who (say they) freely wear it are considered to be brainwashed and setting a bad example. So, yes, many people will most certainly view you less favourably. It's not what you, and the lovey-dovey brigade, want to hear, but it's the truth!

I appreciate you giving a very honest answer, but the truth in reality is that the majority of women are not oppressed by wearing the hijab, contrary to popular beliefs. Anyhow, thank you.
Original post by j.m5478
Okay, so, I am a hijabi who is currently a teenager, and I'm thinking that I'll probably want to become a lawyer. The only thing which is holding me back, however, is that I wear a hijab. I'm worried if I'll be discriminated against, or people won't listen to me just because of my hijab. Obviously, I know times are changing and that people have become more open-minded, but it's just that thought in the back of my mind. Opinions?

Wearing a hijab doesn't make a difference you wear what you want. I understand why you think like that but just do you as long as your happy. Also my sisters a lawyer and she wears a hijab and no one really cares or says anything tbh.
Original post by David Getling

You think everyone who voluntarily wears a hijab has been brainwashed?
Reply 5
thank you so much this has made me feel much better 🥺🥺 as u can see if u scroll up someone didn’t have the best answer 💀 but ty! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by meddymedmed1
You think everyone who voluntarily wears a hijab has been brainwashed?

fr like whats he going on abt 💀
Original post by j.m5478

Hopefully not. Most people should (and probably would) care more about how competent you are rather than what you wear. Don't think that every time something doesn't go your way it's because of your hijab however.
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Hopefully not. Most people should (and probably would) care more about how competent you are rather than what you wear. Don't think that every time something doesn't go your way it's because of your hijab however.

yes ofc! thank you very much 🥺
Original post by j.m5478
or people won't listen to me just because of my hijab.

If someone focuses on your appearance rather than your professionalism and expertise, that's their problem rather than yours. You have yourself mentioned the open-mindedness topic. Such people ought to adopt this open-mindedness and start perceiving other people with more deepness, objectiveness and maturity, otherwise let them stay in their bubbles, surrounded by what strictly fits their mindset.

Best of luck with your future goals. Study well and never give up!
Reply 10
Original post by TheMadNerd93
If someone focuses on your appearance rather than your professionalism and expertise, that's their problem rather than yours. You have yourself mentioned the open-mindedness topic. Such people ought to adopt this open-mindedness and start perceiving other people with more deepness, objectiveness and maturity, otherwise let them stay in their bubbles, surrounded by what strictly fits their mindset.

Best of luck with your future goals. Study well and never give up!

thank you so much! 🥺
Reply 11
i moved your thread to Legal and hope users who work in the legal profession or aspire to can share their stories/experiences with you.

do i think you might face discrimination? i'm not going to lie to you: i think there's always a chance of discrimination if you look different. doesn't matter what that 'quality' is though or what field you work in.

are you going to let that hold you back? i sure as heck hope not. if you're passionate about law, you need to go for it. i'm absolutely positive you will find a place to fit in btw.

what kinda law you want to practice you think? :smile:
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter!
In the job of a lawyer, your ability to do your job well is what will determine if you win cases or not.
I understand what you're saying, but I honestly wouldn't let that hold you back.
Attitudes are definitely changing, and even if a jury is discriminatory against you, at the end of the day, they will look to your client, not what you look like
Reply 13
Original post by Joleee
i moved your thread to Legal and hope users who work in the legal profession or aspire to can share their stories/experiences with you.

do i think you might face discrimination? i'm not going to lie to you: i think there's always a chance of discrimination if you look different. doesn't matter what that 'quality' is though or what field you work in.

are you going to let that hold you back? i sure as heck hope not. if you're passionate about law, you need to go for it. i'm absolutely positive you will find a place to fit in btw.

what kinda law you want to practice you think? :smile:

thank you so much. honestly i think this is the best answer i’ve got so far. as for type of lawyer? i’m really not sure so far lmao but hopefully i’ll work it out soon!
Original post by j.m5478

Forgot to answer this one.
There isnt a straight answer to this because the legal world consists of people, often very conservative and people have different opinions.
It certainly wont stop you having a legal career, it just depends what sort of firm, some would be easier than others.
Law society is quite progressive imo plus they have the equality act to deal with, so they know they cant directly discriminate, but can do so invisibly.
You would never know as everything is so competitive.
Most firms if you are good enough they wont care
If you start going further than Hijab or cover your face then that interferes with your ability to talk with clients and colleagues. In some firms that wont matter in others it becomes an issue.
Ive seen enough to know its not impossible and theres also a society of Muslim lawyers who you can talk to.

I wouldnt worry about #2 as its most likely he wouldnt be able to afford your legal services or if he refused he would most likely be asked to find another firm to represent him. Most lawyers work in business.
http://www.aml.org.uk/

I dont think it will be a real issue compared to competition, grades and experience.
Reply 15
I’m an attorney and I’ve been wanting to hijab for so long. And honestly I’m going to do it. Don’t let your fear of strangers’ opinions be greater than your fear of Allah. Do what’s right for you.
Quite a few students in my cohorts wore hijabs or similar, and of the two I knew well, one is a barrister and one at a magic circle firm as an associate. Ignore the numpties like the first to reply. There is discrimination in the legal world, like in most parts of British society, and there are areas of law that need to do a lot more to diversify, but there's certainly nothing disbarring about religious choices in law.
I'm a lawyer in a city firm. I think you'll be absolutely fine with a Hijab. I know one city lawyer who wears it.

You might face the occasional bit of discrimination - possibly from clients rather than colleagues. But on the whole I think you'll you be fine, and I think you will get that in any line of work. I can't see it being any worse in law than anywhere else.

I wonder if David Getling might be getting confused between the hijab and the Burqa or Niqab? With a hijab, people can still clearly see your facial expressions, so you can communicate just fine - it's not a problem at all. You'd have a much bigger problem if you wear a garment like the Niqab which obscures your face.
Original post by j.m5478

Stick to your faith sister, surely Allah will reward you with something greater in Jannah inshallah (even if it doesn't make a difference).
Don't ever think your efforts will go to waste.
Hello Sister, I studied law in Plymouth and there were 5 of us in my course as Hijabis, there are also muslim societies there. You are not alone, May Allah Gives you strength

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending