Why is it so hard to find a job these days?

Watch
username4882260
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I hear from people it’s so hard to find jobs these days? Why?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DeesideEwan)
- Technology, much easier to mass-recruit and post your job advert EVERYWHERE, widening the candidate pool. Plus more opportunity to test candidates before even putting them in front of a human at HR (let alone the HM) through stuff like technical/SJ tests etc.

- Far more people have a degree these days

- People believe studying XYZ subject will guarantee them a job

Spoiler:
Show

People think studying STEM will lead them into a job straight away. This is false, there is no STEM shortage. Plenty of engineering/CS grads are unemployed or doing retail work.

...however, there is a shortage of experienced engineers. Just not fresh graduates.

Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DeesideEwan)
I think it depends a lot where in the country you are looking and what sort of work you are looking for. If you live in the South East and are happy to take "any" job, then it's not that hard to find something, but if you live in an ex-industrial town and you need full time hours at a decent wage, then you may struggle to find opportunities.

For young people specifically, there is a bit of a vicious cycle of needing experience to get a job, but struggling to get that experience.

Unemployment is pretty low, but a lot of people are underemployed- i.e. in part-time work when they want full time, or in a job that doesn't use their qualifications.
rj23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IKR

Especially with the virus going around.It seems companies are recruiting less and are avoiding interviewing.
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rj23)
IKR

Especially with the virus going around.It seems companies are recruiting less and are avoiding interviewing.
So true, job searching currently is so dreadful at the moment, horrible situation. Job seekers allowance is peanuts in front of rent travel etc in London. Hopeless situation it feels like...
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
😓😓😓
username607202
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rj23)
IKR

Recruitment this year has been awful, especially in the UK. First Brexit, then a General Election, and now Covid-19. More and more organisations are withdrawing positions and severely limiting recruitment. It has been a ****ing bloodbath. No matter what they say about recruitment still continuing, it is bull****. A normal level of recruitment won't return until later this year and I still think that is being optimistic. Even then, students are facing the prospect of not graduating, delayed exams, etc. Recruitment will have to adjust quickly, however, businesses will just be recovering and restarting after the lockdown. Honestly, it's going to get even worse before it gets better.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
during O level days only top 10% got into uni. now anyone can get into uni
Manazoid4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly it isnt hard at all.

Have a good CV, have a can do attitude about everything and watch the job offers roll in.

Iv had 6 job offers in the last week, if you need any help. Message me!
username607202
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
And every job requires a degree. The point you are grasping at is redundant.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wick3d)
And every job requires a degree. The point you are grasping at is redundant.
yes so everyone has a degree =competition is harder

old days= way less people with degree
rj23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manazoid4)

Have a good CV, have a can do attitude about everything and watch the job offers roll in.

6 job offers in the past week! In the current state of the world !

Was it part time or permanent offers?

By the way , Congratulations to you.
rj23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Because universities want to make as much money as possible with the student debts.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manazoid4)

what sector
username607202
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes so everyone has a degree =competition is harder

old days= way less people with degree
Far fewer jobs required degrees then as well. Degrees have always been preferred in technical roles, that's a given. However, these days you need a degree for any job that has long term career prospects, even if it is non-technical. Competition has always existed but the current job market is something else. In the UK, it has been severely limtied by Brexit, a GE, and then on top of that a pandemic. It is out of our control. Believe me, I understand the frustration with the current market. It will get better...eventually.

I would stress that the varying levels of difficulty in getting your first proper job are entirely different than what they were say 30 years ago, but that is a whole different kind of discussion.
rj23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
So true, job searching currently is so dreadful at the moment, horrible situation. Job seekers allowance is peanuts in front of rent travel etc in London. Hopeless situation it feels like...
R u from London?
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably because there are more people wanting to hire people with experience already and there’s much fewer willing to actually train people to the level they require. So they don’t give the option and then the people with experience take up the place where they offer experience to look better leaving those without experience in a bit of a situation.
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rj23)
R u from London?
yep, u ?
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WhisperWillow)
Probably because there are more people wanting to hire people with experience already and there’s much fewer willing to actually train people to the level they require. So they don’t give the option and then the people with experience take up the place where they offer experience to look better leaving those without experience in a bit of a situation.
Absolutely !!! Nobody wants to train even a little, it's all about who has most experience will get in no matter how stupid they are or if they lack people skills in reality etc. In all honesty, I appreciate we're not meant to lie about experience in interviewing etc, but I honestly see no other way of getting in, otherwise we just won't get anywhere far by the looks of it. It is so tempting to just start doing so, hopeless otherwise. I wonder if this is what others do. I honestly just see no other option and I've been through a hell lot of job apps, it's so draining, miserable process and we can't afford to keep on not securing opportunities...
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 year ago
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's even worse (when you're in a Temp-to-Perm job already, they asked before at interview if you'd like to go Perm eventually with them and you agreed, and you want and expect it to go Perm) when they go to the extent of bringing in somewhere overseas (who can't even speak proper English) just because they've got more experience (years more, much older) than you, even though you're doing your best (utterly working your arse off without complaints), doing a good job, expecting and wanting it to go Perm . The moment the replacement comes in, you feel so pissed off and sooner rather than latter, when your leaving is told to you, heartbroken in a sense... Job searching sucks so much and is a huge pain in the arse... So miserable...

It raises the question, are those with bit of experience, who can't get anywhere due to not enough experience, meant to just apply to graduate jobs (so that relatively they are experienced in the candidate pool and get it, atleast so that they get something and earn, despite it being a waste of their experience and abilities gained to date)...
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise