The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Cambridge Uni to study Medicine?

Hi guys,

It's the title really, I've always wanted to go somewhere I feel is super inspirational, steeped with history, like Cambridge Uni, to study Medicine, as that is my dream career, but I'm worried I'm not good enough.

I got 3 9s, 4 8s and 2 7s at GCSE.
I'm not gonna lie, those results were a bit of a disappointment to me (I know that people will say that they are amazing), but just purely what expectations I had of myself, I just feel that I'm not good enough.

I've taken Bio, Chem and Maths A levels and really trying my hardest at the moment.

Do you think there's any possibility? (I know obviously I have to taken the BMAT if so..) but just based on my GCSEs?

Thanks so much
xxx
Original post by Lolztye
Hi guys,

It's the title really, I've always wanted to go somewhere I feel is super inspirational, steeped with history, like Cambridge Uni, to study Medicine, as that is my dream career, but I'm worried I'm not good enough.

I got 3 9s, 4 8s and 2 7s at GCSE.
I'm not gonna lie, those results were a bit of a disappointment to me (I know that people will say that they are amazing), but just purely what expectations I had of myself, I just feel that I'm not good enough.

I've taken Bio, Chem and Maths A levels and really trying my hardest at the moment.

Do you think there's any possibility? (I know obviously I have to taken the BMAT if so..) but just based on my GCSEs?

Thanks so much
xxx

Your grade average is definitely good enough to apply but for Cambridge you'd probably want further maths just to seem more impressive for a course like medicine which is quite competitive. Oxford typically cares less about further maths and make lower offers so maybe check them out. You'd need a bunch of work experience to study medicine at either too so maybe sort some for over Summer. Attend talks and read books. They look at a lot more than just grades so just do the most to set yourself apart. Everyone applying will have good grades, so just do as much as possible to seem passionate and interested in the subject.
Reply 2
Original post by kamgalloway
Your grade average is definitely good enough to apply but for Cambridge you'd probably want further maths just to seem more impressive for a course like medicine which is quite competitive. Oxford typically cares less about further maths and make lower offers so maybe check them out. You'd need a bunch of work experience to study medicine at either too so maybe sort some for over Summer. Attend talks and read books. They look at a lot more than just grades so just do the most to set yourself apart. Everyone applying will have good grades, so just do as much as possible to seem passionate and interested in the subject.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful! I'll definitely try my hardest! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending