Mature student living off campus

Watch
somerandoperson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there! I'm 23 and have received an offer to study Health and Wellbeing in Society which I'm very excited for!

I am however quite nervous as it's been 5 years since I've been in an academic setting and I was wondering what other mature students experiences have been.
I will be commuting to Uni from my flat that I share with my partner who is a working professional, but looking around online I'm not seeing many people who've done this. All the tips for preparing for uni are "learn to cook, learn to budget, learn to do laundry" - all things I've been doing for the last few years.

Do you have any tips for getting back into an academic setting? How did you find your social life was since you weren't living in halls with the other freshers? Did you find it easy to make friends?
I'm probably overthinking this, but I need to direct this energy somewhere whilst I wait for September!
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Keele University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by somerandoperson)
Hi there! I'm 23 and have received an offer to study Health and Wellbeing in Society which I'm very excited for!

I am however quite nervous as it's been 5 years since I've been in an academic setting and I was wondering what other mature students experiences have been.
I will be commuting to Uni from my flat that I share with my partner who is a working professional, but looking around online I'm not seeing many people who've done this. All the tips for preparing for uni are "learn to cook, learn to budget, learn to do laundry" - all things I've been doing for the last few years.

Do you have any tips for getting back into an academic setting? How did you find your social life was since you weren't living in halls with the other freshers? Did you find it easy to make friends?
I'm probably overthinking this, but I need to direct this energy somewhere whilst I wait for September!
Hi somerandoperson!

Congratulation on your offer! I was in a very similar position when I returned to university to study for my MA. I'm a mature student (34) and had been working full time since finishing my undergrad. I commute to Keele and my partner, like yours, is a working professional - so like you I was worried about making friends, getting back into an academic routine, and getting used to coursework and lectures again.

But you'd be really surprised how many mature students there are on the average university campus! And because many mature students have family or working commitments - as do lots of postgraduate students like me - most universities and student unions offer a range of events so there's likely to be things going on that you can fit around your commute and your home life.

Certainly at Keele we've got lots going on during the day - coffee mornings, brunches, talks and workshops, craft activity sessions etc - as well as the evening socials you would expect. I also went to a couple of Freshers brunch/coffee events that were specifically aimed at mature students and commuter students so look out for those too. And I joined a couple of societies as a way of meeting students from across the university community who had shared interests.

Finally I would say just get talking to people on your course - I think most people are nervous about making friends and managing their workload when they first start university so I found I had a lot in common with my cohort even though there was often an age gap between us and we had different living situations. Hope that helps but do feel free to ask if you have any other questions!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by somerandoperson)

Hi there somerandoperson

Congratulations on your offer!

Like Keele University, I went to uni as a mature student and commuted in.

I found the best thing to do was to just be myself. I always had an open invite to go out socially with my class if I wanted. I joined several societies which I found to be great for meeting people and making a new circle of friends.

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads