Sophilouise1986
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Bit of a long winded question, so bear with me, but I would love some advice...

At the age of 33 I've had a bit of a career crisis and realised I need to follow my heart and study something related to mental health.

I am torn between mental health nursing, or a psychology degree to then continue to a masters (or further) and become a therapist or psychologist.
I feel my personality is suited to a more practical nursing position rather than something more research based. The study time for mental health nursing also appears to be shorter, as well as there being a higher demand for nurses than therapists (so could potentially be part funded), but I am unsure on my route to getting there...

I only have a grade D in maths (GCSE) and no A levels, only AS of which I have History, Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology. I also did all modules of a History of Art degree (at Birkbeck which requires no A levels to entry) apart from the dissertation, so never fully graduated.

Would I have to re-do my maths GCSE? I've seen a lot of access courses for nursing that don't require A levels, but all seem to need a C or above at GCSE. All my GCSE's other than maths were A*-C, predominantly B's, including science.

My other option is to do psychology via Open University, as this doesn't require the GCSE's, but from what I have read on other questions and responses on this forum, its a lot harder to get into mental health nursing from Psychology if I did want to change direction, seems better to get the experience nursing first? Open University also appeals as I can keep my current job and study in my own time, which means less student debt!
I really don't want to delay starting an access course by another year to do a GCSE. I think I would rather jump into an Open University degree, but not if it is going to be pointless doing psychology as its so hard to get a job after...

I'm very confused by the huge amount of information out there so would love if someone else has been in a similar situation and could advise me!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sophilouise1986)

At the age of 33 I've had a bit of a career crisis and realised I need to follow my heart and study something related to mental health.

I am torn between mental health nursing, or a psychology degree to then continue to a masters (or further) and become a therapist or psychologist.
I feel my personality is suited to a more practical nursing position rather than something more research based. The study time for mental health nursing also appears to be shorter, as well as there being a higher demand for nurses than therapists (so could potentially be part funded), but I am unsure on my route to getting there...

I only have a grade D in maths (GCSE) and no A levels, only AS of which I have History, Philosophy and Ethics and Sociology. I also did all modules of a History of Art degree (at Birkbeck which requires no A levels to entry) apart from the dissertation, so never fully graduated.

Would I have to re-do my maths GCSE? I've seen a lot of access courses for nursing that don't require A levels, but all seem to need a C or above at GCSE. All my GCSE's other than maths were A*-C, predominantly B's, including science.

My other option is to do psychology via Open University, as this doesn't require the GCSE's, but from what I have read on other questions and responses on this forum, its a lot harder to get into mental health nursing from Psychology if I did want to change direction, seems better to get the experience nursing first? Open University also appeals as I can keep my current job and study in my own time, which means less student debt!
I really don't want to delay starting an access course by another year to do a GCSE. I think I would rather jump into an Open University degree, but not if it is going to be pointless doing psychology as its so hard to get a job after...

I'm very confused by the huge amount of information out there so would love if someone else has been in a similar situation and could advise me!
depending on what age you retire, you probably wouldn't pay your loan off from your art history degree as a nurse let alone from the nursing degree, so I wouldn't worry about it. look into if you can find somewhere to do the gcse maths privately this summer if possible.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sophilouise1986)

How about training as a counsellor? You could start with the Level 3 course and see how you like it, which is 1 year part time. If you like it, level 4 leads to qualified counsellor status, that's 2 years part time with a counselling placement. Counselling skills would be useful in any mental health career, so if you change your mind, it's still a great skill to have. It's also cheaper than a degree.. and if you love it you can continue on to train in high intensity therapies and become a psychotherapist in IAPT ot similar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads