The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni GCSEs

Hi there,

I hope to apply to Oxford in september 2020, for geography (2021 entry).

I have read numerous times, Oxford heavily rely on GCSE grades, and i’m worried mine were not high enough.

I achieved A*888887777 - but i’m hoping to achieve AABB at AS.

I have read that they view grade 8 and 9 equivalent, but i’m still worried.

I will have other strong elements, such as PS and references hopefully.

If anyone has any tips or answers please do comment, i’d really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by azby1098
Hi there,

I have read numerous times, Oxford heavily rely on GCSE grades, and i’m worried mine were not high enough.

If anyone has any tips or answers please do comment, i’d really appreciate it :smile:

You can’t change the past but you can change the future. Work hard for your A Levels and on supercurriculars - do lots of further reading, if you have to sit and entrance test start preparing ASAP, and make sure you research into Oxford’s course so you can tailor your personal statement to what they’re looking for. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
You can’t change the past but you can change the future. Work hard for your A Levels and on supercurriculars - do lots of further reading, if you have to sit and entrance test start preparing ASAP, and make sure you research into Oxford’s course so you can tailor your personal statement to what they’re looking for. Good luck!

Thankyou, yes I am currently preparing for my application, do you think my grades are slightly too weak? I’d prefer an honest opinion :smile:
Don't worry they're by no means too low. They are probably about average for applicants. Much more important will be your interviews and admission test (if geography has one, don't know of the top of my head).
Thankyou, yes I am currently preparing for my application, do you think my grades are slightly too weak? I’d prefer an honest opinion :smile:

I think that they are a bit on the low side, but Geography isn’t one of the most competitive courses, so for the course you’re applying for, I think they’re fine. The main thing is to do well on the entrance test and interview.

Good luck!

This is some data from 2019 Geography applicants:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/544575/response/1305480/attach/5/Undergraduate%20Geography%20Statistics%20Bawi.xlsx?cookie_passthrough=1
Reply 5
Original post by liverninthered
Don't worry they're by no means too low. They are probably about average for applicants. Much more important will be your interviews and admission test (if geography has one, don't know of the top of my head).

Yeah Geography has the GAT :smile: I found a really handy website that gave a anonymous spreadsheet of all applicants, their gcse grades, and admission tests scores, as well as contextualised gcse grades, and there were applicants with the exact same grades as me, and everyone got an interview but only a few got a place, but I hope that i can work hard to make my other elements outstanding.

Thankyou for responding
Reply 6
I think that they are a bit on the low side, but Geography isn’t one of the most competitive courses, so for the course you’re applying for, I think they’re fine. The main thing is to do well on the entrance test and interview.

Good luck!

This is some data from 2019 Geography applicants:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/544575/response/1305480/attach/5/Undergraduate%20Geography%20Statistics%20Bawi.xlsx?cookie_passthrough=1

Thankyou! When researching last night I found this article, so thankyou!
Thankyou! When researching last night I found this article, so thankyou!

You’re welcome, and best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 8
I was rejected for geography and I had 99999988A*A* at GCSE. The most important aspects of your application will be preparing for the admissions test (the GAT) and the interview, as I thought I had a decently strong application as I was told my personal statement was exceptional and my references were good as well. Most applicants with a realistic chance of receiving an offer will have a fantastic personal statement and a good teacher reference, so you really need to prioritise interview technique and admissions test preparation.

Another thing is make sure you reference at least two different books in your PS, even if it’s just one or two chapters of a book you particularly enjoyed and why. I think I didn’t focus enough on literature and wider reading and instead lots of the lectures and volunteering I did, which is site important, but focus on wider reading and what you learned or gained from it. Keep in mind Oxford do prioritise GCSEs more heavily than Cambridge, as they interview less people in general. But mostly GCSEs are contextual to your school. If you achieved those grades and the rest of your year barely passed, then that’s advantageous to you.

You’re at the beginning of a very long journey and process ahead of you, so prepare well. Good Luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
You’re welcome, and best of luck with your application :smile:

Thankyou, in my view as long as I can secure an interview I can exemplify my passion :smile:
Reply 10
Thankyou, in my view as long as I can secure an interview I can exemplify my passion :smile:

What aspects of geography interest you the most? And also the interviewers like to ask how can aspects of human and physical geography be looked at holistically together.
Reply 11
Original post by Deggs_14
What aspects of geography interest you the most? And also the interviewers like to ask how can aspects of human and physical geography be looked at holistically together.

I’m really interested in impacts of human development on physical landscape, human development etc. I am doing an EPQ on millenium development goals, which will also help me develop my understanding.

I also find biogeomorphology interesting

And I think that i’d enjoy the Space and Place topic at Oxford.
Do you study Geography? It’s good that they are interested in how they are linked, as that’s what really interests me! :smile:
Reply 12
I’m really interested in impacts of human development on physical landscape, human development etc. I am doing an EPQ on millenium development goals, which will also help me develop my understanding.

I also find biogeomorphology interesting

And I think that i’d enjoy the Space and Place topic at Oxford.
Do you study Geography? It’s good that they are interested in how they are linked, as that’s what really interests me! :smile:

That’s excellent! I’m in year 13 and applied at the start of year 13 and have firmed Durham now as I was rejected. :frown: the EPQ idea is excellent, I went to a lecture at the RGS called “The Sustainable Development Goals - Ambition or Fantasy” by Linden Edgell. I think it might be on again soon you can have a look at that or it might be recorded online.
Reply 13
Well it seems you have a lot going for you, so keep at it :smile: and always remember if you don’t get into Oxford it’s not the end of the world, there are many other excellent universities, especially for geography in the North of England and Scotland with lots of field trip opportunities. Or you can always reapply again the next year.
Reply 14
That’s excellent! I’m in year 13 and applied at the start of year 13 and have firmed Durham now as I was rejected. :frown: the EPQ idea is excellent, I went to a lecture at the RGS called “The Sustainable Development Goals - Ambition or Fantasy” by Linden Edgell. I think it might be on again soon you can have a look at that or it might be recorded online.

Wow that’s amazing! Thankyou so much! Yes, I really like Durham, so I will be applying there to :smile:)

Thankyou!!
Reply 15
Well it seems you have a lot going for you, so keep at it :smile: and always remember if you don’t get into Oxford it’s not the end of the world, there are many other excellent universities, especially for geography in the North of England and Scotland with lots of field trip opportunities. Or you can always reapply again the next year.

Thankyou so much! I really appreciate your comments. Yes I agree, I don’t view Oxford as the be all and end all, i just view it as a goal to aspire to, and if I don’t get in, there are other amazing unis! Thankyou again
Hi there,

Don't worry about GCSEs I got 8877777655 and I still somehow managed to receive an interview from them.
Reply 17
Original post by sumzie2003
Don't worry about GCSEs I got 8877777655 and I still somehow managed to receive an interview from them.

i was rejected with those grades and mitigating circumstances sadly :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending