Want to become a professional singer

Watch
ryanjj14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am currently in sixth form studying for A-Levels. I want to be a doctor. However, due to recent struggles, I may be unable to continue.

Plus, I am so inspired to sing, and have always wanted to be a singer. I know that success doesn't happen overnight. I need to work on my voice first with a tutor / vocal coach and find out my true potential.

I have had my mind focused on becoming a doctor for years. But lately, there has just been a passion to sing. I love singing. I love writing songs.

I am a really good lyricist and I can picture how my songs are going to sound, but I am not a very good composer. I can compose but I prefer to sing how I am feeling, feel a beat, and then put it down in music which I find very hard.

I don't want to be a singer that doesn't have credits for writing their songs. To me, if I can't write my own songs, there is no point in me singing.

This may seem out of proportion. Please tell me if it is. I don't want false hope. I have got a nasal voice that I need to work on, hence why I am going to take on board vocal lessons etc.

Thanks!
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ryanjj14)
I am currently in sixth form studying for A-Levels. I want to be a doctor. However, due to recent struggles, I may be unable to continue.

Plus, I am so inspired to sing, and have always wanted to be a singer. I know that success doesn't happen overnight. I need to work on my voice first with a tutor / vocal coach and find out my true potential.

I have had my mind focused on becoming a doctor for years. But lately, there has just been a passion to sing. I love singing. I love writing songs.

I am a really good lyricist and I can picture how my songs are going to sound, but I am not a very good composer. I can compose but I prefer to sing how I am feeling, feel a beat, and then put it down in music which I find very hard.

I don't want to be a singer that doesn't have credits for writing their songs. To me, if I can't write my own songs, there is no point in me singing.

This may seem out of proportion. Please tell me if it is. I don't want false hope. I have got a nasal voice that I need to work on, hence why I am going to take on board vocal lessons etc.

Thanks!
Well, when you say "I have always wanted to be a singer", "I love writing songs" and "I can... feel a beat" this implies you are talking about the pop area of the music industry, (but I might wrong).

It is good that your thinking about getting a vocal coach, this will help you to improve your singing and your understanding of music in general (music theory).

If you've seen the movie Yesterday, then you'll understand that appearance is important in the music industry, as much as the raw talent of performing. If you don't look good, your music might be used, but another person will be on the front cover of the albums, and in all of your YouTube videos.

What I think is, if you already have connections with people in the music industry, like music producers, other artists and directors, this will increase your chance of getting on board of the famous boat.

Also, if the ideas of your songs are very original, very catchy, or are likely to be bought by many people(whether this is in the future, over time, or now), this will increase the likelihood of being selected among all of the potential music artists of tomorrow.

You say that you're not that good a composer; by this, I'm assuming you mean an arranger, someone you writes the music down on paper, and arranges it into the format necessary for that performance: a composer is a person who creates the songs from their imagination. In the pop industry, people have arrangers writing the music down for them, so that they don't have to do it themselves, if they don't know how to do it.

As their is so much competition in this market, you would have to be the best of the best in all of these areas to be chosen.

You need to be wary of the negative impacts of being a pop star too: a lack of privacy; 24/7 working hours; a high expectancy of appearance; constant press interrogation; depending where you are: repressed creativity; money; competition; family; stalkers; contract restrictions; the law; etc.

If you are still willing to enter the music industry after reading the last sentence, remember this: ORIGINALITY IS KEY.
Last edited by Mobitela; 9 months ago
ryanjj14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mobitela)
Well, when you say "I have always wanted to be a singer", "I love writing songs" and "I can... feel a beat" this implies you are talking about the pop area of the music industry, (but I might wrong).

It is good that your thinking about getting a vocal coach, this will help you to improve your singing and your understanding of music in general (music theory).

If you've seen the movie Yesterday, then you'll understand that appearance is important in the music industry, as much as the raw talent of the performers themselves. If you don't look good, your music might be used, but another person will be on the front cover and in all of your YouTube videos.

What I think is, if you have connections with people in the industry already, like music producers, other artists and directors, this will increase your chance of getting on board of the famous boat.

Also, if the ideas of your songs are very original, very catchy, or are likely to be bought by an audience of many (whether this is in the future or now), this will increase the likelihood of being selected among the many who want to make it in the music industry.

You say that you're not that good a composer; by this, I'm more assuming you mean an arranger, someone you writes the music down on paper, as a composer is the person who creates the songs from their imagination. In the pop industry, people have arrangers writing the music down for them, so that they don't have to do it themselves, if they don't know how to do it.

As their is so much competition in this market, you would have to be the best of the best in all of these areas to be chosen.

You need to be wary of the negative impacts of being a pop star too: lack of privacy, 24/7 working hours, high expectancy of appearance, constant press interrogation, depending where you are: repressed creativity, money, competition, family, stalkers, contract restrictions, law.

If you are still willing to enter the music industry after reading the last sentence, remember this: ORIGINALITY IS KEY.
Thank you so much for that advice!

Firstly, I’m going to take singing up with a vocal coach etc and go from there. He/she will be able to say if I have potential or not.

I’m the person that has the rhythm in my head and the words. I just can’t actually put it into notes kind of thing.

And I am kind of talking more about the pop side. I’m thinking ballads and R&B kind of stuff. That’s what I listen to. The only thing I’m worried about is that music has changed so much from what I enjoy. I listen to 90s/00s R&B/pop music. Today’s music mostly sounds all the same - I mean the popular songs on the UK Top 40 or BBHOT100.

I’m just really confused right now. Hopefully, a vocal coach will help me find what’s original about me. I need to first sort my nasality in my voice. Plus, after I hit puberty, my pitching has been sort of bad. I have been prone to missing a note by 1/2-1 note or going too high even.

I can sing comfortably from top end of 2nd octave to mid 5th octave.

Sorry if I’m disturbing you by the way. I would just like as much advice as possible.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You can make a decent living singing in bars.
ryanjj14
Rep:
?
Yes, that’s great. Thank you for that!I’d love for my music to be heard by many, but that is where many people start off, and what they’re enjoy doing for a living. I want an album of my own.But in time... I need to work on my voice first. I’m 17 and we can’t all be Billie Eilish haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads