I am 24 with poor writing skills and grammar! Help me...

Watch
Confffffffused
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to go back to the basics. Can anybody advise me on what I can do? I struggle with sentence structure - especially writing sentences clearly and concisely.

Example of a sentence I wrote that could be improved:

''To the police it might have appeared that X was just being difficult however they might not have appreciated the behavioral side of autism – where patients often communicate solely through their behavior by acting out.''
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Confffffffused

I would recommend having a look at grammar girl. For helping you understand why certain things are done in grammar this a great source that helped me out a lot. In the short term, potentially download Grammarly as it will show you where punctuation should be in sentences.

I would also recommend reading all of your work out loud. When you do this you can hear when a common should be used or full stop.

Hope this helps
Dom
Confffffffused
Rep:
?
Thanks.

Will grammar exercise books help?
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Confffffffused)
I want to go back to the basics. Can anybody advise me on what I can do? I struggle with sentence structure - especially writing sentences clearly and concisely.

Example of a sentence I wrote that could be improved:

''To the police it might have appeared that X was just being difficult however they might not have appreciated the behavioral side of autism – where patients often communicate solely through their behavior by acting out.''
Grammar is a case of practise and learning the rules. Grammar books / reading around the function of punctuation and the order of syntax will help you.

I've emboldened and underlined changes below:

To the police, it might have appeared that X was just being difficult; however, the police might not have appreciated the behavioral side of autism – where patients often communicate through behaviors such as acting out.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The em-dash is problematic
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
The em-dash is problematic
I didn't think it was awful - is it not used correctly because a colon could replace it? If a colon was used instead, the semi-colon earlier in the sentence could be replaced with a full stop.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Foreverneek)
I didn't think it was awful - is it not used correctly because a colon could replace it? If a colon was used instead, the semi-colon earlier in the sentence could be replaced with a full stop.
You could, yes. If you opted for that and used a colon, you'd need to get rid of the 'where'. I think that'd be better anyway, to be honest.

Also struggling with why you are referring to autistic people as 'patients'. Is there a context to this that necessitates that?
Confffffffused
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foreverneek)
Grammar is a case of practise and learning the rules. Grammar books / reading around the function of punctuation and the order of syntax will help you.

I've emboldened and underlined changes below:

To the police, it might have appeared that X was just being difficult; however, the police might not have appreciated the behavioral side of autism – where patients often communicate through behaviors such as acting out.
Thanks for this.

(Original post by gjd800)
You could, yes. If you opted for that and used a colon, you'd need to get rid of the 'where'. I think that'd be better anyway, to be honest.

Also struggling with why you are referring to autistic people as 'patients'. Is there a context to this that necessitates that?
Yeah, It was a placement write up.. Would you suggest I go back to the basics? If so, what would you recommend..
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Confffffffused)
Thanks.

Will grammar exercise books help?
You are welcome!

I see no harm in using practice books for help, but there many free resources and tools to use too, like e-books and maybe apps?

Ashley
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads