Lancaster vs Cardiff for Computer Science

Watch
Tom.1017
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am torn between Lancaster and Cardiff as I have offers to study Msci Computer Science at both of them. I'm leaning towards Lancaster but my parents want me to go Cardiff as it is quite close to my home as it will be cheaper and more viable in the long run (4 years). I don't believe that Lancaster will be that expensive as opposed to Cardiff because of the location. Furthermore, which of the two is more accepted by employers? I see that Lancaster is ranked 7th in the UK whereas Cardiff is at 26th (however Cardiff is in the Russel Group) and I would like to know which one is more reputed by employers. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Russel Group is a self selecting group of medium/large research focussed universities, i.e. they're building their own reputation, and you can pay to get into it.

Have you been to look round both? Do go to both, and see which one you like more. The higher ranking of Lancaster, both in terms of graduate prospects and overall ranking, is also important, although I do think that what you do personally has more of an impact rather than purely the university.

This measn that no matter where you go the activities you take part in and the internships/placements you do will have a bigger impact.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tom.1017)
Hi,

I am torn between Lancaster and Cardiff as I have offers to study Msci Computer Science at both of them. I'm leaning towards Lancaster but my parents want me to go Cardiff as it is quite close to my home as it will be cheaper and more viable in the long run (4 years). I don't believe that Lancaster will be that expensive as opposed to Cardiff because of the location. Furthermore, which of the two is more accepted by employers? I see that Lancaster is ranked 7th in the UK whereas Cardiff is at 26th (however Cardiff is in the Russel Group) and I would like to know which one is more reputed by employers. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hello,
I'm currently at Lancaster and I'm happy to answer any questions to help you to make a decision! I'd just like to mention that although I don't know what the living costs of Cardiff are like, Lancaster is very cheap. Rents in town are about £90-100 per person per week with bills included. You can of course live on campus. We have a college system and you'd be in Graduate college. This means you'll be living with other grads near the dedicated grad bar and grad college building which has a porters to get mail etc and a study and social space only for grads. You'll also have your own study space in the library and in town that isn't accessible for undergraduates. Of course you can use the undergrad facilities too! Whereabouts do you live currently? Lancaster is on the west coast mainline and is reasonably well connected by train.
Again, let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
I'm currently at Lancaster and I'm happy to answer any questions to help you to make a decision! I'd just like to mention that although I don't know what the living costs of Cardiff are like, Lancaster is very cheap. Rents in town are about £90-100 per person per week with bills included. You can of course live on campus. We have a college system and you'd be in Graduate college. This means you'll be living with other grads near the dedicated grad bar and grad college building which has a porters to get mail etc and a study and social space only for grads. You'll also have your own study space in the library and in town that isn't accessible for undergraduates. Of course you can use the undergrad facilities too! Whereabouts do you live currently? Lancaster is on the west coast mainline and is reasonably well connected by train.
Again, let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Would you say that Lancaster is better reputed than Cardiff in terms of employers, etc.

Thanks
aprilmayjune01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I'm currently studying Computer Science at Cardiff, so feel free to ask me any questions too! One of the best USPs of Cardiff is that we have great research facilities (because of the Russel Group status, we receive better funding for research work). In terms of employability, South Wales is one of the next busiest growing IT hubs of the UK and Cardiff is home to many existing companies, as well as newer start-ups. We regularly have employability sessions where we can network with employers in our industry.

It's also a lovely city to live in, mainly full of students with everything you could possibly need within a short walking distance. Feel free to ask anything and good luck!
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
(Original post by aprilmayjune01)
Hey,

I'm currently studying Computer Science at Cardiff, so feel free to ask me any questions too! One of the best USPs of Cardiff is that we have great research facilities (because of the Russel Group status, we receive better funding for research work). In terms of employability, South Wales is one of the next busiest growing IT hubs of the UK and Cardiff is home to many existing companies, as well as newer start-ups. We regularly have employability sessions where we can network with employers in our industry.

It's also a lovely city to live in, mainly full of students with everything you could possibly need within a short walking distance. Feel free to ask anything and good luck!
Hi,

Thanks for that. What would you say is more reputed?
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
(Original post by aprilmayjune01)
Hey,

How many days a week are you in class? And can you fit part time work in? Many Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.14%
No (575)
65.86%

Watched Threads