The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Muscle Twitching Under Skin

Hi

For the last 2 months I’ve been having muscle twitches under my skin in multiple parts of my body, a very slight tremor in my fingers of my left hand (not sure if this is normal) and my left arm twitches when I lift it up or stretch it in a certain position.

Been to the GP and I was told I had folic acid deficiency, I’ve had some tests done and I am waiting for the results which should be back by the end of the week. The muscle twitches have improved in the last 6 weeks or so but they are still there and are really annoying.

I worry a lot about my health and have been feeling really down and anxious about what this could be. I’ve had a lot of reassurance from my family and the doctor but it’s been two months and I still have these twitches. Most of the time I don’t feel them but they are still present and I always keep dreading that it’s something serious even though it is not getting worse.

Has anyone else had this? Is there anything I can do to put my mind at ease?
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
I literally read your first paragraph and thought ‘you’re deficient in iron’
I had the exact same when I was low in iron. I found taking a daily supplement of folic acid helped to relieve the symptoms.
Are you taking anything or trying to include any iron rich foods in your diet?
I’d try not to worry of your GP has done the tests and that’s what has come back.
Reply 2
Original post by stepheds
I literally read your first paragraph and thought ‘you’re deficient in iron’
I had the exact same when I was low in iron. I found taking a daily supplement of folic acid helped to relieve the symptoms.
Are you taking anything or trying to include any iron rich foods in your diet?
I’d try not to worry of your GP has done the tests and that’s what has come back.

Hi thanks for your reply.

GP said I have high vitamin B which is normal for my age and low folic acid. No iron mentioned though which is strange 🤔

Yeah I’ll try eating more high in iron foods. I am taking a folic acid supplement which I think is helping, but I haven’t noticed any difference yet as my GP told me I had to take them for 4 months!

Google doesn’t help unfortunately. All sorts of symptoms ranging from MS to MND, but hopefully it’s nothing and it doesn’t seem to be worsening or causing my any other symptoms I guess 👍

P.S - How long did your twitching last for and when does it begin to go???
Stress can be a BIGGGGGGG cause.
Reply 4
Original post by MoonlightRain
Stress can be a BIGGGGGGG cause.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, all this twitching started in a time when I was actually quite anxious and stressed. I think I might of had a panic attack as well at about that time as well, so could be the after effects of a panic attack maybe??

I haven’t been to stressed and anxious in the past few weeks and the only thing which is keeping me on edge is the twitching, so the cycle is never ending. Usually when I’m occupied I don’t seem to notice it that much, but there will be times when I’m not thinking about it and I will suddenly get a little twitch or jerk

It’s really odd!
Original post by hasandarr

GP said I have high vitamin B which is normal for my age and low folic acid. No iron mentioned though which is strange 🤔

Yeah I’ll try eating more high in iron foods. I am taking a folic acid supplement which I think is helping, but I haven’t noticed any difference yet as my GP told me I had to take them for 4 months!

Google doesn’t help unfortunately. All sorts of symptoms ranging from MS to MND, but hopefully it’s nothing and it doesn’t seem to be worsening or causing my any other symptoms I guess 👍

P.S - How long did your twitching last for and when does it begin to go???

Sorry, iron and folic acid, pretty much hand in hand. They both are a deficiency that cause anaemia.

please don’t use Dr Google, he has you dead and buried with the simplest of symptoms.

My levels took a good few months for the twitching to go but in terms of being tired i started feeling better after about a month
Restless leg syndrome....absolute curse of my life! You’ll feel much better when your folate levels start to rise again
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, all this twitching started in a time when I was actually quite anxious and stressed. I think I might of had a panic attack as well at about that time as well, so could be the after effects of a panic attack maybe??

I haven’t been to stressed and anxious in the past few weeks and the only thing which is keeping me on edge is the twitching, so the cycle is never ending. Usually when I’m occupied I don’t seem to notice it that much, but there will be times when I’m not thinking about it and I will suddenly get a little twitch or jerk

It’s really odd!

I used to get it all the time all.the. time, 24/7 all across my body but especially my head. Even when I thought I wasn’t stressed, I actually was. You could’ve still have been stressed but not have known. When I got help for my stress, it reduced by a LOT.
Reply 8
Original post by stepheds
Restless leg syndrome....absolute curse of my life! You’ll feel much better when your folate levels start to rise again

Yeah, I sometimes when I’m tired, my legs twitch a lot more than usual. Could be restless leg syndrome.

GP said I’m not anaemic which is good

I think I’ll stay off Dr. Google. I’ve had various symptoms in the past where Dr. Google has diagnosed me with the worst but they’ve turned out to be nothing. Google is a bit extreme isn’t it?

I’ll see what my GP says, could even refer me to a neurologist. Hopefully it should go relatively soon. No other symptoms and some parts of my body haven’t been twitching for a while. But the occasional arm, neck or leg twitch still happens.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MoonlightRain
I used to get it all the time all.the. time, 24/7 all across my body but especially my head. Even when I thought I wasn’t stressed, I actually was. You could’ve still have been stressed but not have known. When I got help for my stress, it reduced by a LOT.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah when I’m not thinking about it or I’m occupied with something , I don’t usually feel or have any twitches.

it could stress and anxiety for sure. That’s what my GP said that’s what everyone else is saying too.

I’ll just see what the GP Says when I get my results back. Hopefully they’re all okay and the twitching will pass by.

I’ll try some meditation, I’ve had baths which kinda help to to be honest!
Would love to know how the poster got on with folic acid supplementation. I have exactly the same issue.
Muscle twitches, high b12 and low folate and am taking prescribed 5mg folic acid.
Reply 11
Hi

For the last 2 months I’ve been having muscle twitches under my skin in multiple parts of my body, a very slight tremor in my fingers of my left hand (not sure if this is normal) and my left arm twitches when I lift it up or stretch it in a certain position.

Been to the GP and I was told I had folic acid deficiency, I’ve had some tests done and I am waiting for the results which should be back by the end of the week. The muscle twitches have improved in the last 6 weeks or so but they are still there and are really annoying.

I worry a lot about my health and have been feeling really down and anxious about what this could be. I’ve had a lot of reassurance from my family and the doctor but it’s been two months and I still have these twitches. Most of the time I don’t feel them but they are still present and I always keep dreading that it’s something serious even though it is not getting worse.

Thanks

Hi did it settle down inhabe exactly the same
Reply 12
Hi

Thanks

Hi did things settle down i habe the same
Reply 13
Original post by Graham84
Would love to know how the poster got on with folic acid supplementation. I have exactly the same issue.
Muscle twitches, high b12 and low folate and am taking prescribed 5mg folic acid.

Hi did yours settle down
Reply 14
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah when I’m not thinking about it or I’m occupied with something , I don’t usually feel or have any twitches.

it could stress and anxiety for sure. That’s what my GP said that’s what everyone else is saying too.

I’ll just see what the GP Says when I get my results back. Hopefully they’re all okay and the twitching will pass by.

Hi did your results come back? I've had exactly the same as you and am so worried x
Reply 15
Thanks for your reply.

Please let me know

Latest