Child and young persons nursing at Bournemouth university

Watch
Am1972
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Have an unconditional offer for Sept 2020 wondering which accommodation to choose. Any advice from current students? Also not from the area and won’t Have a car - how easy is it to travel to placements via public transport?
leiamegan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Am1972)
Have an unconditional offer for Sept 2020 wondering which accommodation to choose. Any advice from current students? Also not from the area and won’t Have a car - how easy is it to travel to placements via public transport?
I’m in the exact same position as you!
lauramiles321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leiamegan)
I’m in the exact same position as you!
Same!
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone, congratulations on your offers!

Some nursing students prefer to look at NHS housing due to placements. This really is a personal preference though, many will still go into traditional halls - You can view a list of facilities and prices via this link.

With regards to your cars, there isn't any parking available at Bournemouth Uni or the halls, so many students leave their cars at home - Although this isn't useful for those on placement! Some decide to buy parking permits at local multi story car parks such as the one at Madeira Road - This one is really local to the majority of the halls including Chesil House (usually much quieter than other halls but still central), Purbeck, Cranbourne, Bailey Point, Oxford Point.

Another option you could look into is a house share if you are able to meet enough students on your course/other courses that prefer this. Many would do this from second year but with placement/shift patterns it's worth looking into as should be much quieter and you could probably find a house with on road parking. Many of the house share areas (Charminster and Winton) also have good transport links to the two hospitals (Charminster is served by the 3 and M1).

With regards to public transport, this will depend on where you placement is. If it is within Bournemouth and Poole (at either hospital) then buses run frequently and at very unsociable hours from where halls are situated. The M1 runs between Lansdowne and Poole Hospital and the 3 runs from Lansdowne to Bournemouth Hospital. Lansdowne also has buses which run to Christchurch hospital but I don't think these are as frequent as run as late into the night, I would assume this is something discussed with your placement coordinator - Do you have a contact for your course you could ask specifically about this? Car sharing may also become an option, either with a fellow student or if the person you are shadowing on placement doesn't live too far perhaps you could come to an agreement with them.

Was there anything in particular any of you were looking for halls wise?

Vicki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (280)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (182)
9.93%
Isolating with family (129)
7.04%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.58%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.35%
Loneliness (181)
9.87%
Financial worries (75)
4.09%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (169)
9.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.78%

Watched Threads