Should I take six highers in S5?

Watch this thread
Rachel.098
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im not sure what to do ! My school has the option to do six highers, I’m not sure if six highers is too much work. I would be doing the same subjects that I am doing at Nat 5 level. If I didn’t do six highers I would have to pick up another subject at Nat 5 level. What would you do ?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rachel.098)
Im not sure what to do ! My school has the option to do six highers, I’m not sure if six highers is too much work. I would be doing the same subjects that I am doing at Nat 5 level. If I didn’t do six highers I would have to pick up another subject at Nat 5 level. What would you do ?

In general, I would say that while not necessary to do 6 highers, if you have to do 6 subjects, then it's not necessarily too much work. The SQA estimates that a higher and a Nat 5 should each take you around 240 hours of work (all in, including studying and class time) - the higher is just set at a higher level...Obviously this varies person to person, but in terms of allowing a comparison, it can be useful.

To give more specific advice, these questions might help...Do you like your 6th Nat 5? How are you getting on with nat 5s? What Nat 5 would you pick up instead (and how were you doing in that before you dropped it)? Do you like that subject, or would it be a chore to study it?
Rachel.098
Rep:
(Original post by Labrador99)
In general, I would say that while not necessary to do 6 highers, if you have to do 6 subjects, then it's not necessarily too much work. The SQA estimates that a higher and a Nat 5 should each take you around 240 hours of work (all in, including studying and class time) - the higher is just set at a higher level...Obviously this varies person to person, but in terms of allowing a comparison, it can be useful.

To give more specific advice, these questions might help...Do you like your 6th Nat 5? How are you getting on with nat 5s? What Nat 5 would you pick up instead (and how were you doing in that before you dropped it)? Do you like that subject, or would it be a chore to study it?
Great thank you so much ! This was really helpful
mary388
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn’t recommend it personally. I started doing 6 at the beginning but in November dropped one as it was so much work having no study periods and during assignment time you won’t thank yourself. Also think of the exam timetable you could potentially end up with them all clustered and that will lead to stress. I think it’s easier to get great grades if you’re only going five and besides, you can always take more in sixth year like I plan on doing five more next year so 10 in total by the time I leave school
kagr123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It all depends on the amount of work you are willing to put in. I’m currently in S5 and doing six highers and at times it’s not been easy. The initial step up from Nat 5 to higher is a shock to the system at first but once you settle into the level of work required it becomes easier. Also remember you can always pick back up subjects or do new ones in S6. Taking six highers is doable but it absolutely your own decision to make
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rachel.098)
I definitely wouldn't recommend it because there's absolutely no point to it. I did 5 Highers in S5 and 3 Advanced Highers + 3 Highers + 1 Nat 5 in S6 because I had the option to do so and I was eager to please those around me with my grades. Bottom line - not worth it whatsoever and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time doing unnecessary things. I wish I had focused on only the essential things as well as enjoyed my hobbies etc.

I'd highly recommend doing just 5 subjects. If you must do 6, just do a Nat 5. Do something fun and interesting that won't stress you. Maybe a foreign language that you might have never considered before? Or, something easy and interesting like RMPS? :rambo:
kagr123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IAmCookie16)
It all depends on the amount of work you are willing to put in. I’m currently in S5 and doing six highers and at times it’s not been easy. The initial step up from Nat 5 to higher is a shock to the system at first but once you settle into the level of work required it becomes easier. Also remember you can always pick back up subjects or do new ones in S6. Taking six highers is doable but it absolutely your own decision to make
Also you could always take the other subject in s6 instead.
Rachel.098
Rep:
(Original post by mary388)
I wouldn’t recommend it personally. I started doing 6 at the beginning but in November dropped one as it was so much work having no study periods and during assignment time you won’t thank yourself. Also think of the exam timetable you could potentially end up with them all clustered and that will lead to stress. I think it’s easier to get great grades if you’re only going five and besides, you can always take more in sixth year like I plan on doing five more next year so 10 in total by the time I leave school
Thank you so much this was really helpful !
Rachel.098
Rep:
(Original post by IAmCookie16)
Yep ! Thanks this is really helpful !
Rachel.098
Rep:
(Original post by Quick-use)
I definitely wouldn't recommend it because there's absolutely no point to it. I did 5 Highers in S5 and 3 Advanced Highers + 3 Highers + 1 Nat 5 in S6 because I had the option to do so and I was eager to please those around me with my grades. Bottom line - not worth it whatsoever and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time doing unnecessary things. I wish I had focused on only the essential things as well as enjoyed my hobbies etc.

I'd highly recommend doing just 5 subjects. If you must do 6, just do a Nat 5. Do something fun and interesting that won't stress you. Maybe a foreign language that you might have never considered before? Or, something easy and interesting like RMPS? :rambo:
Yeh totally agree! Thanks for helping x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads