Leo246
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I’m currently in year 10 and I would just like some advice if my learning/revision method is efficient or not.
First I understand the topic, then write notes, then create flash cards, then attempt practice questions
Regarding notes, I use multiple sources. I use CGP, kerboodle (Oxford AQA separate Science textbooks) and free science lessons.
Then I make flash cards. I turn my notes into questions and images because I forget content quite quickly and I’m a visual learner.
Then practice questions.
However I take very long to write notes and create flash cards. I’m worried I’m not prioritising time for other subjects. Am I overdoing it? Aha sorry for so much writing!
Nazz69
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In general, science can be a difficult subject to understand due to the many diversions. But your method of learning and revising while making notes and flash cards is very effective.
As well as taking time making these notes and flash cards are very important as it helps u understand certain topics in depth, spending too much time will not allow u to prioritise time for other subjects.
Make sure that your keeping your maths and English grades above 5 AT LEASTTTT!!!!!
You should use GCSE POD I found it very useful when I was revising for my GCSE’s, gcse pod provides you with videos explaining everything even for the other subjects u are studying.
also use Seneca. On Seneca u can complete activities that help u understand certain topics and remember stuff easily cause your continuously doing activities. As well as that, it keeps track of how long u have spent on the site, allowing u to identify if you should spend more or less time revising subjects.
Good luck and I wish u all the best !!!!!
Leo246
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nazz69)
In general, science can be a difficult subject to understand due to the many diversions. But your method of learning and revising while making notes and flash cards is very effective.
As well as taking time making these notes and flash cards are very important as it helps u understand certain topics in depth, spending too much time will not allow u to prioritise time for other subjects.
Make sure that your keeping your maths and English grades above 5 AT LEASTTTT!!!!!
You should use GCSE POD I found it very useful when I was revising for my GCSE’s, gcse pod provides you with videos explaining everything even for the other subjects u are studying.
also use Seneca. On Seneca u can complete activities that help u understand certain topics and remember stuff easily cause your continuously doing activities. As well as that, it keeps track of how long u have spent on the site, allowing u to identify if you should spend more or less time revising subjects.
Good luck and I wish u all the best !!!!!
Thank you but I’m hoping to get at least a 7 in maths and English. Is there any way I could reduce the time I spend for Science. I have to spend a lot of time on Science also because my science teachers are not so good.
Last edited by Leo246; 1 month ago
Nazz69
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Leo246)
Thank you but I’m hoping to get at least a 7 in maths and English. Is there any way I could reduce the time I spend for Science. I have to spend a lot of time on Science also because my science teachers are not so good.
That’s really good that your aiming for at least 7, don’t aim any lower.
You could make a revision time table and write what days u will study each subject and how long for. Take breaks within your study time so that your brain can relax cuz it tends to forget stuff cuz it gets bored.
Focus more time on English and maths cause u will need them grades wherever u go.
And I feel u, my science teacher was absolutely shyyttt. I was set 1 science and we had no teacher. For 2 years which was in yr 10 and 11 we only had supply teachers. I had to revise everything myself . Not even revise, I had to teach myself!!!
Seeing as u too don’t have a good science teacher, make sure u go over topics thourouly.
Make flash cards that was your going over topics, writing the important stuff, and then when it comes to your gcses you just need to go through them flash cards.
Trust me it gets really difficult when u don’t make flash cards. Flash cards are actually the go to.
However don’t write too much on a single card cuz your brain will lose focus when it comes to reading them, cuz they have too much on them.
Nazz69
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
START YOUR FLASH CARDS NOWWW!!!
Next year u will have no time. Doing your flash cards now will mean that at the time for your exams, u will just be revising off flash cards.
Year 11 is the best time to do past papers.
Get yourself ready to practice exam papers
PeltKatsudon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Next year u will have no time. Doing your flash cards now will mean that at the time for your exams, u will just be revising off flash cards.
im not even the one asking for help but thank you for telling me to start doing something.
Nazz69
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PeltKatsudon)
im not even the one asking for help but thank you for telling me to start doing something.
Haha sorrehh😂😂and no worries 😂🥰
Leo246
Rep:
?
That’s really good that your aiming for at least 7, don’t aim any lower.
You could make a revision time table and write what days u will study each subject and how long for. Take breaks within your study time so that your brain can relax cuz it tends to forget stuff cuz it gets bored.
Focus more time on English and maths cause u will need them grades wherever u go.
And I feel u, my science teacher was absolutely shyyttt. I was set 1 science and we had no teacher. For 2 years which was in yr 10 and 11 we only had supply teachers. I had to revise everything myself . Not even revise, I had to teach myself!!!
Seeing as u too don’t have a good science teacher, make sure u go over topics thourouly.
Make flash cards that was your going over topics, writing the important stuff, and then when it comes to your gcses you just need to go through them flash cards.
Trust me it gets really difficult when u don’t make flash cards. Flash cards are actually the go to.
However don’t write too much on a single card cuz your brain will lose focus when it comes to reading them, cuz they have too much on them.
Thanks so much for ur replies but wow I’ve never had supply teachers cover for such a long time. Yeah I have to teach myself too and it’s just a burden because you come home and have to give up personal time.

(Original post by PeltKatsudon)
Thanks a lot for all your replies
Nazz69
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks a lot for all your replies
Yea sometimes u have to sacrifice stuff. But just remember it’s for a good cause and once your done with tour GCSE’s u won’t have to worry any longer.

That doesn’t mean u won’t have any exams after cause depending on what courses u want to study after GCSEs, there are different exams and assignments needed to be completed.

Honestly I’m actually so weird. I always give other ppl advise, like all my mates would come to me for advice and I’ll tell them what I think. I just wish sometimes I could take my own advice 😂😂🙃
Leo246
Rep:
?
Yea sometimes u have to sacrifice stuff. But just remember it’s for a good cause and once your done with tour GCSE’s u won’t have to worry any longer.

That doesn’t mean u won’t have any exams after cause depending on what courses u want to study after GCSEs, there are different exams and assignments needed to be completed.

Honestly I’m actually so weird. I always give other ppl advise, like all my mates would come to me for advice and I’ll tell them what I think. I just wish sometimes I could take my own advice 😂😂🙃
Ahahaha i know I’m the same. I give people advice too and then just realise ‘why don’t I actually do that?’
Anyway sounds like a bit of a stretch but I would love to do medicine. My older brother does medicine currently and I love hearing about what he’s learnt but obviously he simplifies the content aha. I would have to take Biology and Chemistry for medicine. But I’m also just gonna take Maths because I enjoy it.
But good point GCSEs are only once so it’s best I work my hardest.
Nazz69
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahahaha i know I’m the same. I give people advice too and then just realise ‘why don’t I actually do that?’
Anyway sounds like a bit of a stretch but I would love to do medicine. My older brother does medicine currently and I love hearing about what he’s learnt but obviously he simplifies the content aha. I would have to take Biology and Chemistry for medicine. But I’m also just gonna take Maths because I enjoy it.
But good point GCSEs are only once so it’s best I work my hardest.
If u wanna do medicine go for it. Medicine can be hard and if your sayn u enjoy it then your prolly very good at biology and Chem. Don’t waste all that knowledge😊we need u haha😂nowadays most people are studying business, health and social care or media and IT. We are really gonna need u ppl😂😂😂😂❤️ your way smarter than the rest of us
Leo246
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
If u wanna do medicine go for it. Medicine can be hard and if your sayn u enjoy it then your prolly very good at biology and Chem. Don’t waste all that knowledge😊we need u haha😂nowadays most people are studying business, health and social care or media and IT. We are really gonna need u ppl😂😂😂😂❤️ your way smarter than the rest of us
Wow ur words are so inspiring and I smiled while reading ur comment thanks a lot💕❤️💕. But ahaha I’m not I’m not very smart, I’m just hardworking. A lot of my classmates complain about their test scores but do nothing about it 😫😫 💔 I’m not very good at any subject until I go away and learn it and this sounds strange but I actually like teaching myself Biology and Chemistry content (more Biology aha). Tbh I spend most of my revision time on Science because I love it. History and English is a fat nono tho aha. I’ll put in time for subjects like them but they’re quite boring for revising. But thanks again for all ur comments 😊😊
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I legit just started banging out revision 2 months before the exam so I'm sure you'll do well !!
Leo246
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SmartUnicorn)
I legit just started banging out revision 2 months before the exam so I'm sure you'll do well !!
Ahaha thanks 💕
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads