Abbxx99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently in my 3rd at university studying early childhood whilst working at a pre school part time.

I would like to start teaching training in September however I have no experience of working in a school so I’m worried about the prospect of starting with no knowledge! I know experience would be better but is it essential?

I’m debating having a year as a teaching assistant to gain experience, and then starting my teacher training in 2021. Is experience necessary? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Also, would anyone recommend dong PGCE or SCITT training??
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abbxx99)
I’m currently in my 3rd at university studying early childhood whilst working at a pre school part time.

I would like to start teaching training in September however I have no experience of working in a school so I’m worried about the prospect of starting with no knowledge! I know experience would be better but is it essential?

I’m debating having a year as a teaching assistant to gain experience, and then starting my teacher training in 2021. Is experience necessary? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Also, would anyone recommend dong PGCE or SCITT training??
I study Early Childhood Studies too and im starting a Primary PGCE in September.
I don't think just having experience in a preschool is enough because they are very different to primary schools in terms of the curriculum, policies, behaviour, job roles etc. I highly recommend you get some work experience in a primary school even if it's just for one week as it will give you an idea of what it's like and you will be asked about it in interviews.
In general, SCITT programs are harder to get into than university-led PGCE. They expect you to already have experience and therefore you will be thrown into the deep end compared to a PGCE which will ease you in a bit more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (82)
62.12%
No (50)
37.88%

Watched Threads