MJ1148
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I’ve received offers for Politics and French from Bath and Bristol. Until recently I was pretty sure about putting Bristol as my firm as I wasn’t keen on Bath after visiting it with a friend last year, but yesterday I went to the offer holders day and I’m now considering firming it. Apparently you get the benefits of a campus and city uni as there is lots to do in the surrounding areas (I really love Bath itself and I am more familiar with it than Bristol) and it had a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere. I’ve visited Bristol a few times as well as going to the Open day and I also really liked it, but Bath is the best uni I applied to in terms of rankings and the course is better. The most important things when it comes to uni for me are that it is easy to make friends there and the course itself is really good. Any advice?

Edit: work placements & finding a job after uni is also very important to me, and I’ve heard that Bath is more career-centred and their placement schemes are really valuable.
Last edited by MJ1148; 8 months ago
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MJ1148)
So I’ve received offers for Politics and French from Bath and Bristol. Until recently I was pretty sure about putting Bristol as my firm as I wasn’t keen on Bath after visiting it with a friend last year, but yesterday I went to the offer holders day and I’m now considering firming it. Apparently you get the benefits of a campus and city uni as there is lots to do in the surrounding areas (I really love Bath itself and I am more familiar with it than Bristol) and it had a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere. I’ve visited Bristol a few times as well as going to the Open day and I also really liked it, but Bath is the best uni I applied to in terms of rankings and the course is better. The most important things when it comes to uni for me are that it is easy to make friends there and the course itself is really good. Any advice?
Can’t comment on your course but I looked at both unis and it seemed Bristol is a much bigger place with a much better nightlife but bath has more of a community feel I guess you could call it. I think in terms of ‘prestige’ they’re the same also
MJ1148
Rep:
?
I also forgot to add that Bath said they will reduce my offer if I get an A in my EPQ, otherwise all my offers have the same grade requirements (AAB). If I firm Bath then I won’t have an insurance choice.
Puppypower1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Bath is really close to Bristol so you can take advantage of the Bristol nightlife in addition to the clubs, pubs and bars in Bath. Being a campus university means there will be more of a community feel, with accommodation in the first year all on campus rather than spread over several miles as it is in Bristol. The facilities are all in the same place (sports centre, library, SU etc). In Bristol everything is much more spread out and you need transport to get to the sports pitches (if this is important to you). The work placement scheme at Bath is part of the DNA of the place, so graduate employability is a real focus of the institution. If Bath have offered to reduce your offer with an A in your EPQ (isn't it nice to actually have that work acknowledged and rewarded??), and you prefer the course at Bath and it is more highly ranked, why wouldn't you firm Bath?
MJ1148
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puppypower1)
Bath is really close to Bristol so you can take advantage of the Bristol nightlife in addition to the clubs, pubs and bars in Bath. Being a campus university means there will be more of a community feel, with accommodation in the first year all on campus rather than spread over several miles as it is in Bristol. The facilities are all in the same place (sports centre, library, SU etc). In Bristol everything is much more spread out and you need transport to get to the sports pitches (if this is important to you). The work placement scheme at Bath is part of the DNA of the place, so graduate employability is a real focus of the institution. If Bath have offered to reduce your offer with an A in your EPQ (isn't it nice to actually have that work acknowledged and rewarded??), and you prefer the course at Bath and it is more highly ranked, why wouldn't you firm Bath?
Thanks for your comment, are you a student there? I’ve heard their placements scheme is really good and I’d be doing it abroad in my third year which is a major bonus. However, I’ve read that Bristol is considered more prestigious by some employers because it is red brick/Russel Group, so I’m a bit worried that I could be held back because of this.
Mosaic4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MJ1148)
Thanks for your comment, are you a student there? I’ve heard their placements scheme is really good and I’d be doing it abroad in my third year which is a major bonus. However, I’ve read that Bristol is considered more prestigious by some employers because it is red brick/Russel Group, so I’m a bit worried that I could be held back because of this.
Why don’t you make a list of all the things that are important to you such as course, employability, accommodation, night life, placement year etc. Then look through your list and for each one, decide whether Bath or Bristol is best. They are each going to be better for different things.

Once you have done this, try to look at each uni overall e.g. Bath was better at a, b and c and Bristol was better at x, y and z. See if this helps you to decide. Picking a university is a personal thing and so what suits one person may not suit the next.

They are both really good unis though and so I’m sure you will be fine whichever you decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (635)
41.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads