Safety of package from China

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I know this probably sounds stupid but I recently ordered a chair off of amazon and it says with stickers on the package that it has come from China. With all the trouble with coronavirus I’m just wondering whether the package is safe to open and assemble? Is there any chance the virus could have been passed to the parcel?
Anonymous #1
RIP me then😂
GlutenEnthusiast
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
If you can heat it up to 40C for 30 mins and you are OK.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It'll be fine.

If you're that bothered, wipe the chair over with some dettol wipes or something, dispose of the packaging, and wash your hands. But it would die by the time it got to this country.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
It'll be fine.

If you're that bothered, wipe the chair over with some dettol wipes or something, dispose of the packaging, and wash your hands. But it would die by the time it got to this country.
Okay thank you, I’ve sprayed the contents of the packaging with dettol spray just to be sure.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Unless it's come from Wuhan, it has zero chance of carrying the virus on it. If it did come from Wuhan, the virus isn't that good at surviving on objects for long periods of time and most of it would have died by now if any got onto it in the first place. You're going to be fine. Even if it did have large quantities of the virus on it, you are pretty unlikely to suffer a worse illness than the average flu if it got into your respiratory system; most of the severe cases are in older people with chronic health problems.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
Unless it's come from Wuhan, it has zero chance of carrying the virus on it. If it did come from Wuhan, the virus isn't that good at surviving on objects for long periods of time and most of it would have died by now if any got onto it in the first place. You're going to be fine. Even if it did have large quantities of the virus on it, you are pretty unlikely to suffer a worse illness than the average flu if it got into your respiratory system; most of the severe cases are in older people with chronic health problems.
Ah okay. Thank you for the reassurance and info I appreciate it 😊
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Loool this is just getting ridiculous now. People making threads like this and asking if coronavirus is going to be in the food they order from their local Chinese takeaway :rofl:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
Loool this is just getting ridiculous now. People making threads like this and asking if coronavirus is going to be in the food they order from their local Chinese takeaway :rofl:
Wouldn’t go as far as Chinese takeaway, it’s with the contradicting news articles regarding how long the virus can survive without a host and live on surfaces for which made me question 🧐
Cryoraptor
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ikr, people get so panicked from the media exaggerating how bad it is. It reminds me of the 2014 Ebola outbreak where everyone was worried that it would spread to the West. If the media actually gave people the facts that Ebola doesn't spread easily and would be basically impossible to spread in the West, nobody would bat (pun totally intended) an eyelid to outbreaks. Of course, 2019-NCoV spreads far more easily and could actually be dangerous if it spread far enough, but it's not going to be the end of the ****ing world. Barely anyone in the West would die from it if they caught it. You'd barely be able to know it's 2019-NCoV unless you were very old or had other health problems. Those are the only groups it poses a serious threat to. Either way, China is doing a pretty good job at locking down the virus and it looks like it won't spread much further. Even if it does, it won't be as lethal as it is in China, because you have to remember that China has some of the worst air quality on the planet and many people there had respiratory problems anyway because of this. It probably wouldn't be much worse than the flu if it became widespread here.
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
Ikr, people get so panicked from the media exaggerating how bad it is. It reminds me of the 2014 Ebola outbreak where everyone was worried that it would spread to the West. If the media actually gave people the facts that Ebola doesn't spread easily and would be basically impossible to spread in the West, nobody would bat (pun totally intended) an eyelid to outbreaks. Of course, 2019-NCoV spreads far more easily and could actually be dangerous if it spread far enough, but it's not going to be the end of the ****ing world. Barely anyone in the West would die from it if they caught it. You'd barely be able to know it's 2019-NCoV unless you were very old or had other health problems. Those are the only groups it poses a serious threat to. Either way, China is doing a pretty good job at locking down the virus and it looks like it won't spread much further. Even if it does, it won't be as lethal as it is in China, because you have to remember that China has some of the worst air quality on the planet and many people there had respiratory problems anyway because of this. It probably wouldn't be much worse than the flu if it became widespread here.
Exactly. People just LOVE panicking and getting hysterical. It's calm and a non-issue. I think I read the other day that 8 cases of Brits who had it have now been released from hospital with no symptoms. People acting like it's the Black Death.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wouldn’t go as far as Chinese takeaway, it’s with the contradicting news articles regarding how long the virus can survive without a host and live on surfaces for which made me question 🧐
Well, the answer is not that long. Most viruses can't survive on a surface without a host for more than a few hours. I think the longest survive for a couple of days. Luckily, viruses replicate in the trillions, so when you have a cold and you cough and/or sneeze, you're ejecting millions of viruses from your body and if you're in a room with many people, just one sneeze is enough to infect all of them as the millions of viruses disseminate and the likelihood is that at least a few hundred virus particles will enter each person's respiratory system, sometimes more, where they will immediately start infecting cells and replicating in the tens of millions in just a few minutes, repeating the process. So really, an airborne virus doesn't need to be able to survive in stale air or on a surface for that long to keep spreading.

Even if 2019-NCoV can survive for longer than most, the stale air of whatever it's been packaged in would have dehydrated it and destroyed the integrity of its genetic structure, so it wouldn't have been able to cause much trouble anyway.

Feel free to ignore some of the waffle, once people get me started on viruses, I can't stop lmao
Cryoraptor
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Exactly. People just LOVE panicking and getting hysterical. It's calm and a non-issue. I think I read the other day that 8 cases of Brits who had it have now been released from hospital with no symptoms. People acting like it's the Black Death.
That's great news about the Brits being released from hospital.

Imagine what it would be like if a seriously bad disease with the potential to cause hundreds of millions if not billions of deaths broke out? People would be too hysterical and mass-panicked to actually take precautions to go underground and evade the disease. I think sometimes MSM outlets do this with outbreaks deliberately to make sure if it's actually a species-level threat, the masses are too irrational to do anything about it and THEY are the ones who will be in their bunkers and survive it while the masses have their judgement blinded and end up getting totally wiped from it when at least some of them should know how to escape the disease.

I've gone a bit conspiracy mode with this one, but I like to think that a small part of conspiracy theories involving the MSM and the government are potentially true in an opportunist situation like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (98)
68.06%
No (31)
21.53%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.42%

Watched Threads