username4853296
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Is there any point of taking AS levels outside of school? I really love geography but my school will only allow 4 alevels, we don't do AS. Is it worth doing AS geography outside of school- even though I'm doing 3 sciences and economics for Alevels, next academic year?
pravvy20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bahvaalnli)
Is there any point of taking AS levels outside of school? I really love geography but my school will only allow 4 alevels, we don't do AS. Is it worth doing AS geography outside of school- even though I'm doing 3 sciences and economics for Alevels, next academic year?
Hi,

This really depends on what you want to do after a levels. Do you want to go uni or work?
For uni look at the grade requirements and see if having or not having geography makes a difference.
If you want to work do the same does the job really need it.

In terms of your love for geography you dont really hear people do 5 a levels but it inst impossible.
Ask yourself the following questions:
1. It seems you haven't started your next year alevels yet so you dont really have a feel for what there like. Make no mistake a levels are much harder than gcses. Your doing 3 sciences plus economics which i can tell you is very tough with the levels of content you are going to have to revise. Dont bite of more than you can chew.
2.There is a period of time you can change your A levels , your choices seem very geared towards medicine/engineering. If that is what you want to do geography wont make a difference. if you feel your not enjoying one of a levels you could always change.
3.It seems alot of extra effort just for an AS which tbh looks good as it shows your dedicated to work harder but unis/employers wont care trust me unless you need it.
4.Are you considering going to another school to study it or study on your own. If your going to another school , is it a good school and how will that fit in with your new schedule.

Consider all the above the reality of a levels are that you should be picking the ones that suite your future and you should be tactical. The idea of picking alot seems nice at first then reality sets in with the amount of your work your going to have to do. That being said i dont know what kind of person you are. If you are hard working and willing to sacrifice the next 2 years purely to your studies than anything is possible.
Take a look at the syllabus for the AS geography and see what its like, if you feel you can do it go for it but keep in mind the other main Alevels you have picked and dont neglect them. Even though you wont have exams for the main alevels you will have mocks which are crucial for your predicted.
If you still want to go ahead GET REVISING DURING THE HOLIDAY. Trust me especially you with 5 alevels you will need to be ahead of the group.

If you go for it, make sure you attack it with dedication and consistency. Plus lots of late nights and hard work.

You can do it if you do but look to the future what you want to do and plan back. Your future job and uni will be a larger decider of your life than alevels, they are important but dont forget to win the war not a single battle and put yourself through even more stress than you need to.

Best of luck
username4853296
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you so much, I think I will probably lean away from doing an AS, just because it really has no relevance to what I want to do (medicine) and it’s better, I agree, to focus on my mocks at that point in the year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (8)
34.78%
No - I have already returned home (4)
17.39%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
26.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
17.39%

Watched Threads