Are video games too violent for children?

Watch
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think that some are, like Fortnite, and promote harmful behaviour, even though it is virtual. But not all are like this, so what do you think?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mobitela)
I think that some are, like Fortnite, and promote harmful behaviour, even though it is virtual. But not all are like this, so what do you think?
I think that any games involving guns, fire etc are violent
Mobitela
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
I think that any games involving guns, fire etc are violent
But what if in the virtual realm of the video game, the story line is that you have to use weapons in order to survive?

What if you are killing for the the greater good?

Is it then ethically moral?
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
addiction to these games are probably more of a concern
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But what if in the virtual realm of the video game, the story line is that you have to use weapons in order to survive?

What if you are killing for the the greater good?

Is it then ethically moral?
alot of millennials grew up playing violent video games like gta or call of duty and turned out fine
Mobitela
Rep:
?
(Original post by steamed-hams)
addiction to these games are probably more of a concern
So you are arguing that it is quantity over quality.
Mobitela
Rep:
?
alot of millennials grew up playing violent video games like gta or call of duty and turned out fine
Like steamed hans said, it is the addiction to these apps that you need to be wary of, and the majority of millennials were not addicted to them
Last edited by Mobitela; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any goddamn idea how hard it to get rid of a wanted level on the M8? :mad:
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Playing violent video games doesn't make you violent. Playing Fifa doesn't make you a footballer. Playing Sim City doesn't make you a god. Games are there for entertainment value and don't influence like that. Same with films, music and books.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I think we're better leaving it, if someone doesn't understand the concept of fiction that's a far bigger problem. I suspect we've as much chance of telling society not like violence as not to be gay.

Kind of surprised you pick Fortnite out for violence considering how tame it is, i'm far more leery of it's gambling problems.

As to parents, police your own damn kids
Mobitela
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guru Jason)
No. Playing violent video games doesn't make you violent. Playing Fifa doesn't make you a footballer. Playing Sim City doesn't make you a god. Games are there for entertainment value and don't influence like that. Same with films, music and books.
You've got a good point.

Answer this question then, would playing video games increase the chance of having violent traits in your personality?

As, when you watch football your physical tactfullness may not increase, but you surely will think more about the players positions and their impact on the game and the league.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You've got a good point.

Answer this question then, would playing video games increase the chance of having violent traits in your personality?

As, when you watch football your physical tactfullness may not increase, but you surely will think more about the players positions and their impact on the game and the league.
No a violent person is violent whether they play violent games or not. Same with Fifa, playing the game doesn't make you go out a play. If you want to play/manage football, playing fifa isn't going to change that one way or the other.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, there is no evidence to suggest that.

Violent personality traits are not formed through games, the same applies to books, films, theater, music, tv shows, etc.

I thought we had already debunked this **** in the 90s.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
No, there is no evidence to suggest that.

Violent personality traits are not formed through games, the same applies to books, films, theater, music, tv shows, etc.

I thought we had already debunked this **** in the 90s.
I swear its brought up in the US at election times and during gun disaster for easy political scoring but the thing is the older generation fall for it every time.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
I swear its brought up in the US at election times and during gun disaster for easy political scoring but the thing is the older generation fall for it every time.
This and Gateway drugs seems to crop up time and time again with no backing. It is quite tiresome.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
This and Gateway drugs seems to crop up time and time again with no backing. It is quite tiresome.
No one ever gets enthusiastic for stamping out Gateway Stupidity.
SB304
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do see your point of view, however, there is no data at all to suggest ‘violent’ games increase a child’s likelihood of developing violent tendencies throughout adolescence or in to adulthood.

In fact, it’s been proven that video games are one of the best forms of stress relief for children/young adults.

I do agree that age ratings should be followed much more closely. So children aged below the specified age rating on a game shouldn’t be allowed to play it (I.e. call of duty being 18+ yet parents but their 13 year old child the game). It’s just like movies, they have age ratings for a reason.

I don’t feel like any games really cause any of the issues that politicians and many worried parents claim them to, they just use video games as the excuse for their child’s unruly behaviour when it’s down to poor parenting. Obviously this isn’t the case and I apologise if it sounds like a generalisation, but it is something that does occur, just not with everyone.

Obviously I’m open to hear others opinions on the topic, however having been a child who’s grown up with parents who’ve abided by the ‘age ratings’ of games and who’ve never limited me from something they think is ‘too violent’ because they know it’s just a game, I can fairly say that it’s never pushed me towards anything that the game portrays. (Excuse my poor example with a sample size of 1, but personal experience has to have an impact on opinions in some cases)
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are video games too violent for children? It depends on the game and the child.

Letting a 6 year old play GTA V and shoot civilians and run over pedestrians probably isn't the best idea. How about a mature 12 year old playing a Call of Duty game that's rated 18+? I fail to see the issue there.

Even though it's 2020, "new" trends and activities will always be scapegoated by older generations as the sole cause of problems with the younger generations. Back in the 80s it was rock music and then they moved onto comic books and eventually video games. Yes, there will be kids who get addicted to Fortnite and need professional help but no, Fortnite isn't the "root cause" of problems in society. Call of Duty games aren't making high school shooters go out and kill people. If violent games caused even 0.01% of their players to become violent, we'd see far more murders and violent crimes going on.

The other thing that bothers me is when some children's parents don't give a **** about them and leave them to play video games for hours every day without any other kind of interaction and when they turn out badly it's blamed on the games. Seriously, teaching your kids things and actually putting in the effort to build up a relationship with them will do far more for their future than any video game.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The answer depends upon the specific video games and age of the child.
Tentris isn't, Grand Theft Auto series are.
eeiiiiio
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see no reason why it would. Games like Fortnite are not about killing - they're about sport, like playing football or whatever.

I played COD games when I was about 5 years old and I am hardly a violent person. At that age almost any child would know that killing is wrong - I don't think age limits are necessary at all on games like this.

Same argument was made when TVs came out. Do violent films make people violent?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
62.02%
No (49)
37.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed