Are video games too violent for children?

Watch
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Those who are drawn to violence will be drawn to things depicting violence. There were barbaric times before now, but video games didn't exist.

It's hard to tell the difference when it's a small child. We'd like to think seeing death or blood in a game (or in decades before, the scapegoats of music, movies, comics, even musical instruments) made them what they would grow up to become, but they were already going that way. When I saw gore in a game when I was very young, if it was cartoony it was just amusing, if it was graphic then it creeped me out. Someone who will grow up without compassion might see either and be compelled by it, so it looks like the game (movie etc.) is brainwashing them.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Video games are the least reasons why kids get violent, and don't even think that their inhibition threshold is increased by them. Bad parenting and dysfunctional surrounding are still the main reasons for violence among kids. But even those are able to distinguish reality from virtuality.
combatmatrix088
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends on the social environment you're in and how it forms your character, but not on the games. And if a person relies on violence as a solution to problems it's because he/she couldn't find any other coping mechanism. Gaming is an excuse that other people use to blame others. It all lies in the psychology and social environment you're growing up in.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mobitela)
So you are arguing that it is quantity over quality.
It's more the impact of spending time on games and not studying that's the issue, the violence isn't promoting anything.
Mayuxue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, because people, and children are able to distinguish between fiction and reality. A point where they are no longer able to may be cause for concern, and probably comes from a child having underlying psychological problems.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The danger of games like fortnite to children has nothing to do with any supposed violence.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
It's more the impact of spending time on games and not studying that's the issue, the violence isn't promoting anything.
What age range are you talking about? I didn't think this extended to 16+ year olds I thought it was about like primary or lower secondary school children
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Meowstic)
What age range are you talking about? I didn't think this extended to 16+ year olds I thought it was about like primary or lower secondary school children
I said studying but I meant homework and tests. Also additional tasks they might be given at home and time with friends off a screen.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Out of all of the 'violent' videogames to go with, you go with Fortnite? 🤔
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Out of all of the 'violent' videogames to go with, you go with Fortnite? 🤔
A game so censored they don't even allow topless skins to have nipples.

MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
A game so censored they don't even allow topless skins to have nipples.

How have I never noticed that :rofl:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
How have I never noticed that :rofl:
It is really weird once you see it.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would argue that most people who seemingly turn violent due to video games involving a large amount of violence have other underlying issues
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
It is really weird once you see it.
I don't think I'm going to be able to unsee it now. :lol:
Didn't think I'd live the day where men would also need to campaign for #freethenipple.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No consistent evidence to suggest this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.24%
No (557)
65.76%

Watched Threads