Khan1khan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am currently studying for my IGCSEs and at the beginning of my IGCSEs my teachers had allowed my to drop my only science subject (biology) now i’m struggling with choosing my IB. I don’t want to do A-levels and i also don’t want an IB certificate and i want to get an full IB Diploma. Is it possible for me to choose an science now even though i have not taken one in my IGCSEs
heyitsmika
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If your school doesn't hold certain prerequisites for IB bio, I definitely think it's possible. I did bio HL and I also had bio in my IGCSEs, but I never did any work for it, like zero. So basically I started by IB bio with the same amount of knowledge that you're probably gonna have
I feel like bio is just about learning things by heart anyway - there's nothing you really have to understand. If you're good at learning things by heart, you definitely won't struggle with bio.
molloy150
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i do bio and chem HL and i think that bio would be okay without prior knowledge, you would just need to put in a bit more work than other people and it’s a similar thing with chemistry, but i think that would be much harder and i wouldn’t recommend doing it without chemistry IGCSE unless you really need it. however, if you do need it, i’m sure it would be possible to do well in it but it might be worth looking at tuition or speaking to teachers about work you can do to prepare for it, good luck!
Khan1khan
Rep:
?
(Original post by molloy150)
i do bio and chem HL and i think that bio would be okay without prior knowledge, you would just need to put in a bit more work than other people and it’s a similar thing with chemistry, but i think that would be much harder and i wouldn’t recommend doing it without chemistry IGCSE unless you really need it. however, if you do need it, i’m sure it would be possible to do well in it but it might be worth looking at tuition or speaking to teachers about work you can do to prepare for it, good luck!
They say that

(Original post by heyitsmika)
If your school doesn't hold certain prerequisites for IB bio, I definitely think it's possible. I did bio HL and I also had bio in my IGCSEs, but I never did any work for it, like zero. So basically I started by IB bio with the same amount of knowledge that you're probably gonna have
I feel like bio is just about learning things by heart anyway - there's nothing you really have to understand. If you're good at learning things by heart, you definitely won't struggle with bio.
Do you mean that you didn’t get biology IGCSE?
Khan1khan
Rep:
?
(Original post by molloy150)
My teachers say that i cant take IB Diploma course just because i’m not getting any science IGCSEs and at the same time they are saying that ( also to all of my friends who had taken bio IGCSE) that you need chemistry to study bio in IB. Is this really true?
Last edited by Khan1khan; 9 months ago
molloy150
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Khan1khan)
My teachers say that i cant take IB Diploma course just because i’m not getting any science IGCSEs and at the same time they are saying that ( also to all of my friends who had taken bio IGCSE) that you need chemistry to study bio in IB. Is this really true?
noooo not at all, theres 14 people taking IB bio in our year and only 5 of us do chem, there’s a couple of topics that it’s been useful to have a bit of chemistry knowledge but some of the best people at biology in our year don’t take it. it might be a school rule that you need the science IGCSE to do biology (at my school, we needed a 7 at GCSE to take the science at HL) which is a shame, but speak to the teachers and see if you can start taking science and prove to them you can do it.
heyitsmika
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Khan1khan)
They say that

Do you mean that you didn’t get biology IGCSE?
No, I still got it. I've always been incredibly lazy in school (like I literally did absolutely nothing) but my grades were still fine
don't ask me how I did it lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (723)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (919)
42.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (406)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed