University of Sheffield for computer science and AI

Watch
alexbessedonato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got an IB offer for University of Sheffield of a 36 with a 6 in maths HL and a 6 in Computer Science. Why is this offer so high? I got the predicted grades but it’s weird because Other universities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh have nicer offers while having a higher reputation on CS departments. Why is this? Am I underestimating Sheffield?
Davinarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alexbessedonato)
I got an IB offer for University of Sheffield of a 36 with a 6 in maths HL and a 6 in Computer Science. Why is this offer so high? I got the predicted grades but it’s weird because Other universities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh have nicer offers while having a higher reputation on CS departments. Why is this? Am I underestimating Sheffield?
Sheffield may not be one of the very top rated Universities in the UK but it is a Russel Group research Uni with a very high student satisfaction. Not only do a large portion of students who apply, put it as their number one choice, a lot of students who got in were rejected from Oxbridge and other highly ranked unis. This somewhat correlates to the type of high calibre students who attend. On many lists, it ranks number one in regards to its strong student union, if not a very close second to Loughborough. It also sports a large amount of relatively affordable accommodation on site and in the city for much more space compared to somewhere like London.
It's safe to say, you will most likely enjoy your time at Sheffield, whilst receiving a high quality education.
Some students in England even shy away from the university of Edinburgh due to it being very far from their home.

This is coming from someone who has an offer from Sheffield, but still considers UCL their top choice for Architecture. I also know plenty of people who went to Sheffield through work and friends. All of whom say they are enjoying their time there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (116)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (122)
16.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.63%
Isolating with family (50)
6.68%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (29)
3.88%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (65)
8.69%
Loneliness (79)
10.56%
Financial worries (30)
4.01%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (67)
8.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.42%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (70)
9.36%

Watched Threads