Should the laws around alcohol restrictions of age be changed?

Watch
Poll: Should the laws around alcohol restrictions of age be changed?
Yes, they should be changed (3)
50%
No, they should not be changed (3)
50%
I don't know (0)
0%
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I don't think they should as the impact of alcohol on the human brain can be detrimental, particularly whilst the brain is still growing.
Last edited by Mobitela; 9 months ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I do think they should be changed but I also think they will probably do little to how many young people will actually do so, considering England's drinking culture
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Laws won't change the culture.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes.
The American and British legislative attitudes towards heavily restricting access to alcohol to teenagers and the under 21s is counterproductive on a mass scale.

It only serves to portray alcohol to young people as "forbidden, darkly glamorous & cool" and create an unbalanced social attitude towards consumption.
One that leads to alcohol being widely seeing as either: automatic fun, an excuse to justify all poor decisions, a direct route to getting blackout drunk on a regular basis or an evil that must be utterly prohibited.
Rather than educating people, encouraging young people to enjoy alcohol with food and party moderately- as many other countries have a long social tradition of achieving very successfully amongst their own populations.
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't think by changing the law, will change people's attitudes to drinking, neither will it change the culture.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads