anonymousayyyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Explain why it is sometimes necessary to deceive participants in social influence research (2 marks)

Describe one way in why deception has been dealt with in social influence research (2 marks)

I wasn't in for this lesson so I'm slightly baffled on what to write but there only two marks each so this should be a breeze, someone please help :/
Academicbee123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that deception is needed so that the true behaviour of people can be studied. As they don’t know the true aim of the study, they won’t display demand characteristics and will act naturally. That way, we can see the effect of social interactions and the social environment on their behaviour.

I’m not sure what social studies you look at but deception can be dealt with in social psychology by doing carrying out retrospective consent after the study. For example, getting participants to sign an informed consent form after taking part in the research - so that they act naturally during research but give consent afterwards. For example, bocchiaro revealed the true aim of his study after the participants took part and afterwards they also completed an informed consent form.
anonymousayyyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Academicbee123)
I think that deception is needed so that the true behaviour of people can be studied. As they don’t know the true aim of the study, they won’t display demand characteristics and will act naturally. That way, we can see the effect of social interactions and the social environment on their behaviour.

I’m not sure what social studies you look at but deception can be dealt with in social psychology by doing carrying out retrospective consent after the study. For example, getting participants to sign an informed consent form after taking part in the research - so that they act naturally during research but give consent afterwards. For example, bocchiaro revealed the true aim of his study after the participants took part and afterwards they also completed an informed consent form.
Thank you so much, this is all starting to make sense now !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads