Step-parents and Student Finance England?

Watch this thread
TmailStudent33
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello TSR,

We're about to begin the process of applying for my daughter's student finance via the SFE website.

I'm her divorced father, but I have since re-married, to her now step-mother. However, she lives completely individually to me in her own house, and all of her financial documents and associations are connected to HER house, and not mine, thus meaning there is absolutely no financial support to my house, myself, or my daughter, and I will be the only one supporting her throughout the University process.

Need I say it openly, but we're effectively separated.

Do I need to list her step-mother, and if not, what will be the process of proving I live alone with my daughter?

Thanks very much,
Have a great day.
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TmailStudent33)
Hello TSR,

We're about to begin the process of applying for my daughter's student finance via the SFE website.

I'm her divorced father, but I have since re-married, to her now step-mother. However, she lives completely individually to me in her own house, and all of her financial documents and associations are connected to HER house, and not mine, thus meaning there is absolutely no financial support to my house, myself, or my daughter, and I will be the only one supporting her throughout the University process.

Need I say it openly, but we're effectively separated.

Do I need to list her step-mother, and if not, what will be the process of proving I live alone with my daughter?

Thanks very much,
Have a great day.
Good Morning.

You wouldn't need to list her step-mother if you are now separated. I'll list below the acceptable evidence we would require along side your supporting application for your daughter. We would only need one of the below:

*Decree Nisi
*Solicitors letter confirming your current marital status
*A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration you make in writing describing facts that you wish to state as true. You typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
*Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.

Warmest Regards,

Erin.
TmailStudent33
Rep:
(Original post by Erin SFE)
Good Morning.

You wouldn't need to list her step-mother if you are now separated. I'll list below the acceptable evidence we would require along side your supporting application for your daughter. We would only need one of the below:

*Decree Nisi
*Solicitors letter confirming your current marital status
*A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration you make in writing describing facts that you wish to state as true. You typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
*Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.

Warmest Regards,

Erin.

Thank you for your response. We are not maritally separated, as mentioned - we're still married, we just live and operate financially separate. I have been living alone with my daughter for years, and have a tax bill with a single occupancy discount to evidence this.

To be clear: I am married to my daughter's step-mother, my wife. However, we live separately, she has her own close family and lives with them. She has NO financial ties to me or my house, and for that reason I claim single occupancy, as it is only me and my daughter who live in this house.

The evidence you list seems like it is available once the divorce proceedings begin, however I am not divorced, and such proceedings are not planned at this time.

I have read many posts and articles by SFE/SLC which state I can evidence single occupancy by sending my council tax bill.

However, I don't want to send in my council tax bill if SFE will do some sort of marital check, but otherwise - this household contains me and my daughter only.

Thanks again,
Kindest regards.
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your response. We are not maritally separated, as mentioned - we're still married, we just live and operate financially separate. I have been living alone with my daughter for years, and have a tax bill with a single occupancy discount to evidence this.

To be clear: I am married to my daughter's step-mother, my wife. However, we live separately, she has her own close family and lives with them. She has NO financial ties to me or my house, and for that reason I claim single occupancy, as it is only me and my daughter who live in this house.

The evidence you list seems like it is available once the divorce proceedings begin, however I am not divorced, and such proceedings are not planned at this time.

I have read many posts and articles by SFE/SLC which state I can evidence single occupancy by sending my council tax bill.

However, I don't want to send in my council tax bill if SFE will do some sort of marital check, but otherwise - this household contains me and my daughter only.

Thanks again,
Kindest regards.
Hello,

We can accept a council tax bill to confirm you're separated.

We require your most recently dated council tax bill with one of the following discounts- 25% single person occupancy discount,18-20 still in education, Single person discount, Sole occupier discount or Only one adult resident.

Thanks, Lynsey.
TmailStudent33
Rep:
(Original post by Lynsey SFE)
Hello,

We can accept a council tax bill to confirm you're separated.

We require your most recently dated council tax bill with one of the following discounts- 25% single person occupancy discount,18-20 still in education, Single person discount, Sole occupier discount or Only one adult resident.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hi Lynsey,

So to confirm - despite the fact I am still married to my wife, my daughter won't need to list her step-mother on the application form as we're (me and my wife) living and financially separate, and when asked to prove this I can send in my 25% single occupancy discounted council tax bill?

Kind regards.
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Lynsey,

So to confirm - despite the fact I am still married to my wife, my daughter won't need to list her step-mother on the application form as we're (me and my wife) living and financially separate, and when asked to prove this I can send in my 25% single occupancy discounted council tax bill?

Kind regards.
Hello,

If you are still in a relationship, we will require your wife's income in order to assess your daughter's application.

Thanks, Lynsey.
TmailStudent33
Rep:
(Original post by Lynsey SFE)
Hello,

If you are still in a relationship, we will require your wife's income in order to assess your daughter's application.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hi,

So even though we're technically/financially separate, she affects my daughter's application?

I understand these are not rules that SFE/SLC define, regardless of how odd they may seem. But is there not a way around this? As mentioned, I have a tax bill evidencing single-occupancy (25% discount), will this not do to prove we are technically separate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (109)
38.52%
The paper was reasonable (136)
48.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
9.19%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
4.24%

Watched Threads