katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Recently, I have interrupted my studies at University, where I was studying Psychology. I did this because I wasn't really enjoying the degree, I was home sick etc, etc. So now I've come home and I haven't really got a clue what I want to do in the future in terms of a career. So, to me it seems logical to try and earn a good bit of money this year so that whatever I decide to do, I have that to support me.

I have been told that I would be able to get into Teaching Assistant roles at some point during the year if I complete some volunteer work within a classroom, and ever since I have mentioned this to people, I have received some judgemental responses. It's as if it's disappointing to people that I have come out of uni and now I am doing this, or that it's not a well respected job- peoples reactions have just been generally negative. Which is crazy to me!

Because the future is so unclear for me at the moment, I just thought doing a job that is more career based would be a smart idea whilst I have a think about what I want to do in the future? Kind opinions are welcome.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't take it personally.
Many people just instinctively shudder at the thought of anything connected to teaching or children and do their best to put others off.
If being a teaching assistant is a career opportunity that you are keen to try, give it a go.
Good luck!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katie091000)
Recently, I have interrupted my studies at University, where I was studying Psychology. I did this because I wasn't really enjoying the degree, I was home sick etc, etc. So now I've come home and I haven't really got a clue what I want to do in the future in terms of a career. So, to me it seems logical to try and earn a good bit of money this year so that whatever I decide to do, I have that to support me.

I have been told that I would be able to get into Teaching Assistant roles at some point during the year if I complete some volunteer work within a classroom, and ever since I have mentioned this to people, I have received some judgemental responses. It's as if it's disappointing to people that I have come out of uni and now I am doing this, or that it's not a well respected job- peoples reactions have just been generally negative. Which is crazy to me!

Because the future is so unclear for me at the moment, I just thought doing a job that is more career based would be a smart idea whilst I have a think about what I want to do in the future? Kind opinions are welcome.
Hello @katie091000

I've worked as a teaching assistant, and can truly say that it's a fantastic job. It's meaningful, there is purpose to it, and you are able to build some strong relationships and apply some of the theory that you'll have learnt during your studies in a practical way as you are working with vulnerable children as a TA. You would also be exposed to the wide range of learning challenges that young people face, that could spur you on with decisions about your own career into the future.

It's not a very well paid position, which may be the reason for some of your negative responses, or perhaps the idea for some people of working in schools is not very representational of the reality of doing so, but I think you are being proactive, looking for something that may bring you a lot of joy, so don't let others opinions hold you back! This period of time will help you find where you do or do not wish to proceed to, and for that I applaud you.

Have some faith in yourself and your abilities and take some time to work out what you want. It's your life and so your rules!

All the best,

Jane
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello @katie091000

I've worked as a teaching assistant, and can truly say that it's a fantastic job. It's meaningful, there is purpose to it, and you are able to build some strong relationships and apply some of the theory that you'll have learnt during your studies in a practical way as you are working with vulnerable children as a TA. You would also be exposed to the wide range of learning challenges that young people face, that could spur you on with decisions about your own career into the future.

It's not a very well paid position, which may be the reason for some of your negative responses, or perhaps the idea for some people of working in schools is not very representational of the reality of doing so, but I think you are being proactive, looking for something that may bring you a lot of joy, so don't let others opinions hold you back! This period of time will help you find where you do or do not wish to proceed to, and for that I applaud you.

Have some faith in yourself and your abilities and take some time to work out what you want. It's your life and so your rules!

All the best,

Jane
Hi Jane, thank you for your kind words!! The average salary around where I live is between 17-18 thousand, which I suppose considering the fact I’m 19 isn’t bad! I just want to be doing something worthwhile with my time while I figure out what I’d like to do- hopefully volunteer work will be enough to land me a paid position!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katie091000)
Hi Jane, thank you for your kind words!! The average salary around where I live is between 17-18 thousand, which I suppose considering the fact I’m 19 isn’t bad! I just want to be doing something worthwhile with my time while I figure out what I’d like to do- hopefully volunteer work will be enough to land me a paid position!
Hello

Experience in a classroom would support an application for TA work and so you are right to seek some voluntary places. Offering to listen to children read would be helpful to the school, so may help you get a foot in the door. Alternatively, you may register with a teaching supply agencies where you may be given paid TA work. Keep an eye on the TES jobs, Eteach and Teaching Vacancies for 'support' roles and apply for any jobs that come up on there!

Hope you are able to figure out what you'd like for the future in your own time and make a living in the mean time!

Jane
xSkyFire
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh University is one of the most well orchestrated scams of all time. You're going into potentially 6 figure debt for a piece of paper which has little to no influence on employment prospects for a lot of people.If anything, you're saving yourself a lot of debt so keep doing what you're doing.For reference I have a BSc Hons in pharmacology from KCL, MSc in biochemistry from KCL and PGCE from CCCU.I now work as a software developer in a large asset management firm, who didn't even care about my university background.
edward.j
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I usually slate the cliche pictures that people who spend too much time on Facebook share, and I'm fully aware of the irony in what I'm about to say, but I always love the quote "What other people think of me is none of my business".

Keep doing what you're doing, as long as it has meaning to you, its sounds like a great idea!
Last edited by edward.j; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.16%
No (559)
65.84%

Watched Threads