My mum pulled the Oxford card at parents night

Watch
Grace JK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The geography department at my school is a shambles to say the least with only 1 decent teacher and the rest horrendous with no communication between them. Concerns about geography and me getting an A this year were raised (I’m not English so A is the highest grade you can get not A*) and my mum said something like “She needs very high As for her personal statement since she wants to go to Oxford” and then brought it up again during the night.

I think my teacher thinks my parents are pushing me now. I don’t know how to feel, I hate telling people I’m applying since the chances are so low and I also don’t want people thinking that I have an inflated sense of self (since that’s the image people often associate with oxbridge applicants here). Anyway, I can expect to meet with the geography teachers tomorrow
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Grace JK)
The geography department at my school is a shambles to say the least with only 1 decent teacher and the rest horrendous with no communication between them. Concerns about geography and me getting an A this year were raised (I’m not English so A is the highest grade you can get not A*) and my mum said something like “She needs very high As for her personal statement since she wants to go to Oxford” and then brought it up again during the night.

I think my teacher thinks my parents are pushing me now. I don’t know how to feel, I hate telling people I’m applying since the chances are so low and I also don’t want people thinking that I have an inflated sense of self (since that’s the image people often associate with oxbridge applicants here). Anyway, I can expect to meet with the geography teachers tomorrow
Wasnt half as bad as what I expected.
Do you want to go there?
Do the teachers think you have the ability?
I think its fine for your mum to raise it if thats your aim, but also if you and she are worried about the teaching being substandard. At least you can see if anything can be done otherwise you need a plan B where you are more self reliant.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I really don't think most people view those who apply to Oxbridge as having an inflated sense of self worth, and if some people really do think something so petty then you're better off without them. You can tell people you're applying while remaining humble and not bigging yourself up. That way if you do get rejected it won't be seen as such a downfall, and if you do get in it'll be seen as a greater, more deserving success.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Not all Oxbridge applicants have an inflated sense of self, but others can do. My son applied quietly and did lots of work after school. Others at his school were sooo sure they would get in but didn't do any extra work. when my son got in and they didn't, they produced a meme with Fry, saying "I can't believe A got into Oxford". That was simply sour grapes.

Yes, your Mum needs to flag this up with the teachers, as you may need extra support. If you really want to apply, get together with your teachers to discuss how you can enhance your application. Even if the chances are low, it doesn't hurt to apply, especially if you are on course to get the grades, or have contextual flags (school you go to, area you live in) and have a natural curiosity about your subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (251)
33.92%
No (489)
66.08%

Watched Threads