The Student Room Group

I failed my dissertation 3 times - can I graduate without honours

So I’ve just finished my 3rd year of university but I failed my dissertation three times Do uni have the option to give you the degree without the honours ? I’ve done adult nursing, done very well in the field and nursing is my passion - and this is the one thing stopping me. I’m devastated
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Studentnurse2001
So I’ve just finished my 3rd year of university but I failed my dissertation twice. Do uni have the option to give you the degree without the honours ? I’ve done adult nursing, done very well in the field and nursing is my passion - and this is the one thing stopping me. I’m devastated

It says in the title you failed 3 times , but in the text 2 times? Which is it?
How much did you fail by?
It depends on the uni rules and it makes a big difference between whether you failed 2x or 3x.

Not sure how you fail a second time, especially course work.
Didint you get anyone to assist/ check like a tutor?

Whether they can give you a degree without honours depends on their rules, which you need to read.
English degrees normally require full 360 credits.
Fail again and you'll get a 'Dishonours Degree'... :wink:

Nah, your best bet is to talk to your personal tutor about your options. Was there any particular reason why you failed your dissertation for 2 or 3 times? If so, apply for extenuating circumstances, then your grade won't be capped at 40%.
Reply 3
So I’ve just finished my 3rd year of university but I failed my dissertation twice. Do uni have the option to give you the degree without the honours ? I’ve done adult nursing, done very well in the field and nursing is my passion - and this is the one thing stopping me. I’m devastated

I feel for you, i've not started my nursing degree yet but the dissertation frightens the beejebus out of me.. im hoping that when it comes to it I will be more equipped to deal with it than I feel I am now!

have you not had support from your tutor? surely after the first fail they should have offered support?
@Charlotte's Web might be able to advise on how that might affect your ability to enter the profession? You may need to complete the full honours degree (i.e. including dissertation) to be able to register with the NMC and hence practice as a nurse.

Have you had any feedback on your previous submitted dissertations, and identified what went wrong with them that caused them to fail? If not I would recommend you try and get this (at least for your most recent one) so if you do look into trying to resubmit again you can make sure you don't make the same mistakes potentially.

Original post by artful_lounger
@Charlotte's Web might be able to advise on how that might affect your ability to enter the profession? You may need to complete the full honours degree (i.e. including dissertation) to be able to register with the NMC and hence practice as a nurse.

Have you had any feedback on your previous submitted dissertations, and identified what went wrong with them that caused them to fail? If not I would recommend you try and get this (at least for your most recent one) so if you do look into trying to resubmit again you can make sure you don't make the same mistakes potentially.

The full degree needs to be completed. Whether you can graduate without honours depends on their marking policy and whether this is something they have had approved by the NMC. Application to join the NMC register relies upon the student completing everything that the university has agreed with the NMC to provide. The best course of action is to thoroughly read the university's marking policy, and start a discussion with the tutor and course leader about next steps.
Original post by artful_lounger

I had very little feedback. And according to what they wanted changed, I completed it. I changed everything they wanted me to using track changes - and handed it back in for another supervison and then they just sent it back with very minor things. I have a lot going on at home, my mum being very ill and I’m her carer, and I just don’t know if they’ll accept that in the appeal as it’s effected me massively
Original post by ~MJ~
I feel for you, i've not started my nursing degree yet but the dissertation frightens the beejebus out of me.. im hoping that when it comes to it I will be more equipped to deal with it than I feel I am now!

have you not had support from your tutor? surely after the first fail they should have offered support?

I had very little support and feedback and I feel that the changes they asked me to make I made. I went from 30% to 33% to 36%. I just can’t seem to understand why I can’t get those final marks - I made the changes and changed quite a lot between the second and third submissions and still wasn’t enough - even though in supervision he didn’t tell me to remove certain things, yet in the marking all I see is - this isn’t relevant etc - so feel like the supervisions weren’t any help at all. I’m going to appeal and if successful ask for another tutor
I had very little feedback. And according to what they wanted changed, I completed it. I changed everything they wanted me to using track changes - and handed it back in for another supervison and then they just sent it back with very minor things. I have a lot going on at home, my mum being very ill and I’m her carer, and I just don’t know if they’ll accept that in the appeal as it’s effected me massively

Hmm, well if you are spending a lot of time in a role as a carer outside of your studies/placements then that may be something they will take into account...no harm in letting them know at least!

I think as @Charlotte's Web says your best bet is probably trying to arrange a sit down with your course leader/director of studies and/or personal tutor, to discuss your options and try and figure out what's going wrong, particularly in view of their feedback and the lack of clarity in their expectations for this piece of work :s-smilie:
Original post by CTLeafez
Fail again and you'll get a 'Dishonours Degree'... :wink:

Nah, your best bet is to talk to your personal tutor about your options. Was there any particular reason why you failed your dissertation for 2 or 3 times? If so, apply for extenuating circumstances, then your grade won't be capped at 40%.

I had very little support and feedback and I feel that the changes they asked me to make I made. I went from 30% to 33% to 36%. I just can’t seem to understand why I can’t get those final marks - I made the changes and changed quite a lot between the second and third submissions and still wasn’t enough - even though in supervision he didn’t tell me to remove certain things, yet in the marking all I see is - this isn’t relevant etc - so feel like the supervisions weren’t any help at all. I’m going to appeal and if successful ask for another tutor

Hi there,
I didn’t study Nursing, but have been to university. I think maybe you should talk to someone else at the university about your circumstances with home life and your tutor with regards to your dissertation. Maybe an extension of time could be of help you. I think also was I would try to get someone else in the profession like another tutor to read over your paper, and see if they can bring some light into where you should expand of subject matter or amendments. It seems that your tutor is not that helpful. Good luck. 🤞🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending