The Student Room Group

Leeds/Bristol as insurance for Physics undergrad?

Hi guys. Applying for 2020 physics courses, I've got offers from Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Leeds.
I'm gonna put Manchester as firm because I love it, but the entry requirements are A*A*A 😬 so I need to have a solid insurance.
I'm not keen on Birmingham as a city, so it's mostly a choice between Leeds (AAB) and Bristol (A*AA). I've been to see both, and I'm pretty torn, so if anyone's got any insight into either it would be much appreciated!!
Original post by erisology
Hi guys. Applying for 2020 physics courses, I've got offers from Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Leeds.
I'm gonna put Manchester as firm because I love it, but the entry requirements are A*A*A 😬 so I need to have a solid insurance.
I'm not keen on Birmingham as a city, so it's mostly a choice between Leeds (AAB) and Bristol (A*AA). I've been to see both, and I'm pretty torn, so if anyone's got any insight into either it would be much appreciated!!

Do either guarantee accommodation to insurance entrants?

If you really like them the same, I would go with the one that offers the safest Insurance choice which is Leeds.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Do either guarantee accommodation to insurance entrants?

Leeds does, Bristol doesn't. No idea how difficult getting accommodation at Bristol would be though.
I go to Bristol and my best friend of 10 years goes to Manchester (and we both study Physics). To be honest, as much as I'd like to recommend Bristol, it's A*AA. If you had gotten a contextual offer I would've definitely told you to go for Bristol (we actually had someone from Leeds transfer into our course) but imo an insurance should be just that, an insurance. Accommodation can also be very difficult to find and some people have had to be housed ~10 miles away from the main campus area so keep that in mind.
Leed's.... The cost of living in Bristol should be illegal, and the suicide rate is high.
No idea how difficult getting accommodation at Bristol would be though.

Bristol had a lot of problems housing all the students they recruited last year - although I believe the bigget problems were faced by students who got in last minute through Clearing. Still, I would have a talk with the accommodation office about the situation for Insurance applicants

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2019-09-13/dozens-of-bristol-university-students-offered-accommodation-in-wales/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending