Paul Golding charged with terror offence

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As much as i dislike this odious little **** this would seem to be a seriously dubious use of the law.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51581497
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meh, hard to say, possibly intel led in some way, known offender after all.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Terrorism Act is a seriously dodgy piece of legislation open to all kinds of abuse with Schedule 7 directly contravening Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

But then again the UK government only believe in human rights when it suits them.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah it ain't dubious, it's straight up how this authoritarian bull**** was intended to be used - "[Schedule 7] can be exercised without the need for any grounds of suspecting the person has any involvement in terrorism – or any other criminal activity."
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Nah it ain't dubious, it's straight up how this authoritarian bull**** was intended to be used - "[Schedule 7] can be exercised without the need for any grounds of suspecting the person has any involvement in terrorism – or any other criminal activity."
And yet people want to give the government yet more powers? I weep for my country.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
While he is obviously a far right dickbag, it's clear to me that the government are abusing powers to get rid of enemies. It starts with the easy targets that most people will agree with, but as time goes on, more and more moderate people will end up being charged with these ridiculous laws. Not to mention our new 'Bill of Rights' if passed which inevitably it will be will literally have the ability to suspend your human rights, meaning the government can imprison you without trial, torture you, and so on. There's a dark future ahead of us.

God, I'm becoming a right lefty! I was never a huge fan of the conserva***** but as I get more perspectives I'm definitely becoming more cynical.

Although I will clarify that I'm centrist and fairly liberal. I guess I see the good in both sides, but I also see the bad that needs to be avoided.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
While he is obviously a far right dickbag, it's clear to me that the government are abusing powers to get rid of enemies.
You know he's not dead right? Briefly detained

As much as I don't know the details either, if your wikipedia 'legal issues' section runs to a full 2 pages you need to accept you'll be stopped and searched pretty often and any right to privacy is downgraded. I doubt anyone would really mind the phone being raked if he happened to be a different tone of skin with that sort of record.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)

As much as I don't know the details either, if your wikipedia 'legal issues' section runs to a full 2 pages you need to accept you'll be stopped and searched pretty often and any right to privacy is downgraded. I doubt anyone would really mind the phone being raked if he happened to be a different tone of skin with that sort of record.
Not just briefly detained, he's been charged with a crime.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by julietlima3)
Not just briefly detained, he's been charged with a crime.
He's been charged with lots of crimes? that's his life.

But he's not dead/rotting in a gulag/got rid of. As I said above, with a record like his the 'reasonable right to privacy' gets a bit iffy.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The government doesn't have to kill anyone. Just put him in general population and the prison lads will more than likely deal with it. Even if they don't, he's going to be away and silenced now. Everyone who isn't a far-right scumbag hates him and he's almost certain to be put away for any offence imaginable. He's an easy target to get rid of, and get public support behind new laws that will frankly be quite authoritarian.

It may not seem like it, but trust me, more and more moderate people will get the same treatment over time. And people won't care because the government will pull a retarded charge like this which is enough to make most people side with them and want them put away.
Last edited by Cryoraptor; 1 month ago
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This should be worrying for everyone.
Especially if it turns out they had no reasonable proof linking him to terrorism.

Anti-terrorism laws have long been used by counties as a means to bypass common law. And have historically been adused.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He's been charged with lots of crimes? that's his life.

But he's not dead/rotting in a gulag/got rid of. As I said above, with a record like his the 'reasonable right to privacy' gets a bit iffy.
There was a case not that long ago of a journalist being stopped under these same powers.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The government doesn't have to kill anyone. Just put him in general population and the prison lads will more than likely deal with it. Even if they don't, he's going to be away and silenced now. Everyone who isn't a far-right scumbag hates him and he's almost certain to be put away for any offence imaginable. He's an easy target to get rid of, and get public support behind new laws that will frankly be quite authoritarian.

It may not seem like it, but trust me, more and more moderate people will get the same treatment over time. And people won't care because the government will pull a retarded charge like this which is enough to make most people side with them and want them put away.
I'm not a fan of a lot of anti terror legislation, but I honesty feel you're hitting the conspiracy pipe a bit too hard...

He keeps committing crimes that get him convicted, he's supposed to be in prison, he hasn't been sneakily done in previously has he? and frankly, if everyone in prison wants to do you in, there's probably a reason.

We heard the exact same logic for Tommy Maxleb Yribinson....lifelong violence and dishonest criminal actions, but suddenly he's got a suit on and some soundbites and he's too good for jail somehow? 'People might not like him' .. and he survived his most recent stretch? (Although by all account on day 1 he tried to push around an OAP and the OAP leathered the hell out of him)

I've honestly no idea if the police had a good reason for the search but given the guys level of trouble ii'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. The guys politics are secondary in my eyes, if you're 'known to the police' then that has lifelong consequences.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not a fan of a lot of anti terror legislation, but I honesty feel you're hitting the conspiracy pipe a bit too hard...

He keeps committing crimes that get him convicted, he's supposed to be in prison, he hasn't been sneakily done in previously has he? and frankly, if everyone in prison wants to do you in, there's probably a reason.

We heard the exact same logic for Tommy Maxleb Yribinson....lifelong violence and dishonest criminal actions, but suddenly he's got a suit on and some soundbites and he's too good for jail somehow? 'People might not like him' .. and he survived his most recent stretch? (Although by all account on day 1 he tried to push around an OAP and the OAP leathered the hell out of him)

I've honestly no idea if the police had a good reason for the search but given the guys level of trouble ii'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. The guys politics are secondary in my eyes, if you're 'known to the police' then that has lifelong consequences.
I get that these are unpleasant people, but this is what I'm saying. They are easy targets that everyone will get behind.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but this is all where it will lead to. It seems more than a coincidence that the conservatives are bowing down to progressive liberals and instating all these laws against internet hate speech, as well as targeting people for it. Why would they do that unless they themselves had something massive to gain from it? That thing being, a non-stop propaganda machine.

A bit like how climate change eventually leads to a new ice age, progressive liberal idiocy leads to a right wing authoritarian regime. They are too stupid to see what's happening and why the conservatives, people who don't agree with progressive liberals, are doing everything they want because it will allow them to set up a conservative nanny state. Once those laws are in place, it's almost impossible to get rid of them.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get that these are unpleasant people, but this is what I'm saying. They are easy targets that everyone will get behind.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but this is all where it will lead to. It seems more than a coincidence that the conservatives are bowing down to progressive liberals and instating all these laws against internet hate speech, as well as targeting people for it. Why would they do that unless they themselves had something massive to gain from it? That thing being, a non-stop propaganda machine.

A bit like how climate change eventually leads to a new ice age, progressive liberal idiocy leads to a right wing authoritarian regime. They are too stupid to see what's happening and why the conservatives, people who don't agree with progressive liberals, are doing everything they want because it will allow them to set up a conservative nanny state. Once those laws are in place, it's almost impossible to get rid of them.
Some good points, but I do take a bit of issue with 'easy targets everyone will get behind'....both are high profile populists with large followings wiling to defend (and fund) them blindly. And even in this thread I'm in a minority of, well, 1, who is saying 'maybe there was a good reason to target the guy'... Obv just my perspective, but I don't really see them as the victimised urchins they paint themselves as, no doubt with the help of a suitable PR adviser.

I would basically argue that none of this is out of step with how many conservatives historically govern anyway, none of it is particularly new ideas and I feel 'Liberal Progressives' are more of a strawman excuse than the catalyst. Although at this point I increasingly feel existing political labels just don't do things justice.

Somewhat of a tangent, but for me the Scottish Indy ref was my 'Well that's the Tories in place, it's almost impossible to get rid of them now' moment, as past that I just didn't see Labour having a hope (That played out pretty much bang on, I still think they'll be a nothing for a decade+)

On a more basic level, I do see the truth in the 'When they came for the 'x' I said nowt' warning, I remember feeling a bit leery a decade odd ago when they started giving released sex offenders lifelong travel bans and such. It's a pretty arbitrary quasi-extrajudicial punishment, but hey, it's pedos? who cares?. As said i'm not a big fan of anti-terror laws and their implementation....but in this case i'd like to know more of their reasoning (and he could have just gave them the access they asked for, again IMO you start losing that right to privacy the more times you're caught doing bad stuff)
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh the Poundland fascist's links to Russia should be investigated...
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some good points, but I do take a bit of issue with 'easy targets everyone will get behind'....both are high profile populists with large followings wiling to defend (and fund) them blindly. And even in this thread I'm in a minority of, well, 1, who is saying 'maybe there was a good reason to target the guy'... Obv just my perspective, but I don't really see them as the victimised urchins they paint themselves as, no doubt with the help of a suitable PR adviser.

I would basically argue that none of this is out of step with how many conservatives historically govern anyway, none of it is particularly new ideas and I feel 'Liberal Progressives' are more of a strawman excuse than the catalyst. Although at this point I increasingly feel existing political labels just don't do things justice.

Somewhat of a tangent, but for me the Scottish Indy ref was my 'Well that's the Tories in place, it's almost impossible to get rid of them now' moment, as past that I just didn't see Labour having a hope (That played out pretty much bang on, I still think they'll be a nothing for a decade+)

On a more basic level, I do see the truth in the 'When they came for the 'x' I said nowt' warning, I remember feeling a bit leery a decade odd ago when they started giving released sex offenders lifelong travel bans and such. It's a pretty arbitrary quasi-extrajudicial punishment, but hey, it's pedos? who cares?. As said i'm not a big fan of anti-terror laws and their implementation....but in this case i'd like to know more of their reasoning (and he could have just gave them the access they asked for, again IMO you start losing that right to privacy the more times you're caught doing bad stuff)
I do see what you're saying, perhaps time will prove me to be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

From what I hear and see, the far-right's populism is much smaller than it looks since basically everyone agrees that racism and xenophobia are not okay. The loudest are heard the most. People take issue with it more because of the fact that the government is clearly trying to get him off the streets with this arbitrary charge and less extreme people might be next, not because they agree with him. Napp called him a 'odious little ****', which is essentially a consensus view. I don't see anyone on this entire website (maybe apart from one or two cases max) supporting any far-right figures at all.

But yeah, this bloke has been in trouble before, and not handing over your details to police when you have been in trouble before is a huge sign, but charging him under a terrorism act is jumping the gun a bit. Just take his phone away under further investigation and get in yourself, it's not like the police can't do it.

As for pedophiles, well I'm not going to be defending their rights anytime soon, and I'm of the opinion that their sentences are far too lenient for the weight of the crimes the commit. But that's another discussion and imposing travel bans on them seems a bit weird considering the logical thing would be to allow them to leave the country so the pedo isn't your problem anymore, but then there's the argument of being able to monitor their activity since they are statistically highly likely to do it again. But as I say, that's a discussion for another time.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
tbh the Poundland fascist's links to Russia should be investigated...
I highly doubt the Kremlin wastes its time with comparatively an extremely small group of people who will never gain any power at all in this country.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I highly doubt the Kremlin wastes its time with comparatively an extremely small group of people who will never gain any power at all in this country.
They wasted their time funding the CPGB and NUM.
Both extremely small fringe groups that will never gain power in this country.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
They wasted their time funding the CPGB and NUM.
Both extremely small fringe groups that will never gain power in this country.
Well, that was back in the Soviet era. Nowadays the Kremlin is a little (lot) more logical and practical. I don't see Putin wasting his time with fascists in this country when he should know more than any world leader that they will simply never gain traction, mostly due to the scars fascism made in WW2 but also because most people in this country are repulsed by the ideas of fascism and I think it would be virtually impossible to convince even our brainwashed populace that fascism is a good idea in any capacity.

Even if he was a total idiot, there's not much for him to gain from fascists in this country. It's not like we'd ever side with Russia or anything lmao, most people here hate him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (36)
50%
No, they should still go ahead (15)
20.83%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (21)
29.17%

Watched Threads